Ruffled Sword

Aug 13, 2010
Sicklerville, NJ
Just picked up a Ruffled Sword! It is about 6'' high now. I have 2.5 WPG and does Flourish 1 cap full 2X a week, have DIY CO2 and will be dosing 1 cap full of Flourish Trace 2X a week starting today. Anything else I should be doing to take care of it? :confused:

Feb 27, 2009
Swords are an aquatic plant (can live its whole life underwater) but can also grow emerged (partly or completely out of water). Emerged growth is far faster and many nurseries will grow the plants emerged for that reason.

In most cases, the emerged leaves will die back and the plant will put out submerged forms of leaves to replace them.

Just moving a sword from one location to anther is usually not enough to cause leaf loss. Growing emerged then moved to submerged will. Many fish stores will have the plants displayed submerged, and will say they are aquatic plants (which swords ARE), but unless they know the grower, most likely they were grown out of water. It can take a few weeks or months before the leaves completely die off and are replaced with the right type to live underwater.

When I add new swords to a tank, unless I'm sure they were grown submerged (those I receive from other hobbyists for example), I remove all leaves and let the plant regrow submerged growth. As long as the root system is healthy, it will have the energy to sprout new leaves to grow. They recover far quicker without spending energy trying to keep the wrong type of leaf alive.

Just my 2cents.
OC

Feb 27, 2009
If it were in my tank, that is what I would do. Did you get root tabs for it? The size of the roots determine the size of the leaves it will put out. If it put out 6" ones before, it should again :)

Nov 30, 2010
So the sword is not looking good....the leaves are "disintegrating" Is this normal for a sword after a move?
When I add new swords to a tank, unless I'm sure they were grown submerged (those I receive from other hobbyists for example), I remove all leaves and let the plant regrow submerged growth. As long as the root system is healthy, it will have the energy to sprout new leaves to grow. They recover far quicker without spending energy trying to keep the wrong type of leaf alive.