Rose Anemone

kevinrs

Small Fish
Sep 14, 2004
Visit site
hi, i just bought a Rose Anemone and i fed him, and everything, but after 7 days, he died. I tested the water levels, and other things in the water, and it was all fine. he turned whiteish, and got really small, and started to fall apart, and got really slimy. I did everything the store people recommended, and it still died. what did i do wrong, or did he just die, cause of age???

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
i'm assuming he was in your 12 gallon nano--the tank is probably overstocked and there were probably high levels of either ammonia or nitrate that caused the anemone to die
anemones are recommended for experienced fishkeepers because they require exacting conditions and rarely live for a sustained amount of time in the home aquarium (with exception to those who somehow manage to successfully maintain them in the reef aquarium)

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
ammonia and nitrite should be zero

nitrate needs to be down below 5

temperature could have been the culprit as well...thats awful hot and anemones are fragile

how did you acclimate the anemone? usually it is a several hour process

what kind of lights do you have on that thing?

when you bought the anemone was there any noticable damage? most importantly, was the foot torn in any way?

and kyle is right, you are really overstocked

Last edited:

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
another thought i just had was that the heliofungia and the anemone may have had a war...thats a really agressive coral which can have very long sweeper tentacles...even if it was a mere 2 or 3 inches it could probably reach all but the farthest corners of a 12g..........

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Well...I have said this many times before. Anemones need to stay in the ocean. To start with you picked a bad size to begin with. Try to get an individual that is at least 5inches across. Anemones need to be acclimated carefully and put into the right environment. A nano cube is unsuitable for any type of anemone besides Condi Anemones. First it does not have enough light, second not enough room, and third not enough water movement. Other reasons for it not doing well are Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate in the water. Over aggressive clownfish and corals stinging the anemone. With this being said please research before buying.

to hard basket

Correct me as I may be wrong.

a clown (tomato) will take chunks out of a Anemone ( bubble )to mask its scent/slim, this is from what i have observed, once i place new Anemone in a tank this happens, the clown bites a small piece or the odd tenticle off, then returns later and repeats the process, then it will place its tail into the Anemone then more and more.

2.bleaching of an Anemone is due to the inner algae ( forgot its name ) has been exhausted which the Anemone also feeds off and the colour remains white.

3. to much light or wrong light or heat will bleach it.

4. I had one (bubble) that had been torn in half by a aqua flow filter, one half reformed and is still living ( in Karratha WA and purchase in 2002 ) and has grown large again. the other had reformed but died and started to fall apart obviously it was no more.