rope fish

williamC

Small Fish
Aug 20, 2008
i was looking at a rope fish.
has anyone ever had a rope fish what do they eat and are they hard to keep in a fish tank?

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
That are hard to keep in a fish tank..Literaly. Make sure you have a tight fitting hood with little to no openings.

They are carnivores eating frozen/dehydrated foods like blood worms, brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, etc.

Just don't put them in a tank with aggressive fish.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
2..yes. If they are large enough they will eat live foods like crickets, I'm not sure about the minnows. I kinda don't think they could catch them. They aren't exactly fast swimmers.

Jul 19, 2007
clemson,sc
I would not keep them in a 29gal..that is far too small for rope fish..they like to be kept in groups and they can get up to 3ft in length, although in aquariums they stay under 2ft I have seen them close to this lenght...they are also nocturnal and will get any fish that like to sleep on the bottom...if it can fit into its mouth..it can eat it..why risk it..I had initially wanted one to keep with bettas but had to reconsider since they would become easy prey for the rope fish

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
In all the information I've read on them, not once I have seen them suggest they like to be kept in groups. That's just not common behavior for a carnivorous fish. Got a link?

Wile yes they do get long, their body is very flexible. A 29 would be the minimum I would keep one in.

About them getting out..Well both of the ones I have had got out. Each time it was through the hole cut out for the HOB. Now I had these holes cut as small as possible. This kinda leads me to think that if you have a HOB filter they can get out. Ideally you need a canister filter because you can cut the holes small enough that the only thing that will fit through them is the hoses for the filter.

Jul 19, 2007
clemson,sc
I have seen them go into caves together and hang out together..so they dont seem to mind the company of each other
Here are some links I have found..while they may like each other's company..it's probably not crucial but I have come upon sites that suggest to keep at least three together as they will form a group in caves..but either way, a 29g is still too small of a tank for them to move around and swim with ease, even if it's housing just one
Rope Fish @ petfish.net
How to keep your new Ropefish/Reedfish, Erpetoichthys calabricus, with pictures