RO Systems

raydobbs

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Edina, MN
www.stf-beyond.com
Anyone have any experience in good RO systems for use in aquariums?  I have a model which works extremely well - however, it only does 10 Gallons per Day, and wastes a lot of water in interest of prolonging filter media life.  I've got Tap water with a pH of 10 and Carbonate Hardness of 15 or 16, so not using RO water is NOT an option if I want ANYTHING to live in my tank.

I can make due with my current system - but it's massively slow - especially when you want to do a larger tank change, or to have a supply of RO water stored for an emergency.

Ovrclckd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
A reverse osmosis water purifier cleans water by pushing it through a thin film membrane, taking out as much as 99% of all contaminants in the water. But because reverse osmosis requires a constant pressure on the outside of the membrane, much more water is used than clean water is produced. RO systems can waste upto 90% of the water.

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
The Tap water purifier, is as effective as an R/o unit, with out the wait and waste. I had one in my house..only to to decide not to use one, and settle for my tanks to have to thrive under my hard water.

Oct 22, 2002
I have well water. The water is very hard and has a pH of 8.2 I use a R.O. and waist some where between 100 to 200 gallons of water a day. This is OK because I run the wasted water into my garden. I believe that hardness is way over rated.  I only keep up with the conductivity of my water, not the hardness. Discus do not know the difference between calcium and phosphate. All ions make up conductivity and that is what is most important. Off the wall here, but I use Dehumidified water for my reef tank and it loves it. The conductivity is about 3.