RMT: 10 gal planted

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Here is my 10 gallon planted tank. I like it right now, but Ive never been truly satisfied with it. hehe, mabey I need a bigger planted tank! 125 would look nice.
Any sugestions, comments, gripes would all be appriciated. :)

Lighting: 2 15w screw in flouresent
Filter: Aquatech HOB 100 GPH
Substraite: Sand
DIY co2
ph:6.2
Inhabitants: 1 SAE, 2 CAE, 3 Silver tip tetra, 2 bloodfins,
4 cory cats(2 bronze, 2 juli), 2 dwarf gourami
Plants: Amazon Sword, Java moss, Micro sword, Mondo grass, hornwart, and two other types I have been unable to ID.

I know that HOB filters are not good for planted tanks, but I have no problem with mine breaking the surface of the water. I just keep the water level up to where the water comes out of the filter and the floating hornwart doesnt even move.

Let me know what ya think!

Attachments

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
you people and your beautiful planted tanks drive me nuts!man do i wish i could get MY tank to grow like that.is that just sand or floruite sand?how long before your co2 runs out?i don't want to mess wiht yeast and sugar,but if it will make my tank look better i'll try

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Thank you very much.
That is just regular old sand from the LFS. I belive that the DIY co2 is suposed to last about 15 days or so, depending on the mix. It is really no trouble to do, takes about 5 min to set the stuff up. Just dont forget that co2 injection and lighting go hand in hand. I tryed just the lights for about a week and didnt notice a big improvement, but you can see what happened after the co2 was added!

depthC

Superstar Fish
Feb 24, 2003
WI
No way that tank is 10g ... that tank looks bigger. Or are the bloodfins just small? Also wont you have have to trim the floating plants so the ones rooted can get more light? Nice tank im currently in the process of planning a 10g planted so your tank is a good resource.

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
LOL, it really a 55 in disguise!! JK

The bloodfins are just about an inch or so. The majority of what is seen as floating plants is really just one plant. I kinda have it draped along the front and sides, and the rest pretty well stays open by triming it back. Its hard to keep up with the plants!

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Thanks so much everyone. I never thought my self a very good arranger, but I think I did alright! LOL
Still dont care to much for the red sand, so instead of changing the sand, I just got another tank, 20 gallon long, and am going to see how that goes!

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
I imagine you are asking about the floating plants. That is hornwart. That stuff groes like mad in my tanks. I took it out not long after I posted the first pics, but later put some of it back in as a filler. Worked out great I think.