Reverse Osmosis

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

ronrca

Does anyone have a unit? I would like to buy one but Im unsure as how it operates. Im thinking of getting a simple 2 stage captive purity that is sold at marinemonsters.com. How do you put water in? Hose connected to sink? I have never seen these units therefore have no knowledge of them. Thanks!

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
I know people that have them.

It usually "T"s off your normal pipe under the sink. The second line runs through how ever many purifiers you have, then into a holding tank of a few gallons. Then it usually..maybe an option, has its own faucet to pour the water out of it.

There may be other hook ups but I would think you would want some preasure going in.

Is this for your tanks or to drink?

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
You can get an RO machine at HD too for drinking.  However, it requires much more water to make a certain amount of water.  I am looking into one also but check Ebay.  They have some RO machines that some reefers like and it's cheap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1318102025

R

ronrca

Its for my tanks therefore I need good output and the drinking water systems dont put out enuogh in a day. The system Im looking into has a 35G per day output. Does the unit have an automatic shut off value to control the flow? How does it regulate the water level and how much water you want/need?

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
What about a tap water purifier? It is way cheaper much faster, and people on this site in prev posts loved it.

$29.99 online. treats only 150 g of water before you need the $18 replacement filter, but you wont be doing 90 g water changes anyway..or putting it back in straight up without some reg tap water..unless topping off..or using it for salt water.

R

ronrca

Does the purifier produce close to the same results as a R/O? I need the soft water for breeding discus! Its a very good idea and a much better price.

R

ronrca

Where can you get it for $29.99? I think you have me sold Rudy! Instead of spending $400 for a R/O unit, I'll spend $70 at Big Al's and send you a cheque for the difference  *crazysmiley* *laughingcryingsmiley*

kitten

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
can i just ask, why bother?? Whats the point in spending all your money on something like that? Sounds like crazy talk to me. *twirlysmiley*

R

ronrca

My tap water is too hard to breed discus therefore I must do something about it. I can buy pure water but that will add up quickly or I can invest in a unit that produces pure water. With pure water, I can also prepare the water chemistry to how I want it, not to whatever comes from the tap. There is no other way otherwise in getting pure water for discus.

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I have never used the tap water purifier but I am sure it works.  But discus requires a lot of water changes and having an R.O. system there is going to save you money in the long run.  You can have it there in case of an emergency such as poor water conditions.
You can drink from it too. ;D

taybelZ

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
hey kitten good to hear from ya :p
your right melbourne water is really soft... down in geelong its 60ppms... about 3.5 degreehardness in the german scale.
Roncra i'm thinking of getting one as well tell me how it goes... and how much they cost... i've seen them for sale b4 for about $300 AUD tho i'm not sure wat it does exactly. I need one to lower teh water Ph level for my discus, tap water here is 8.6 round bouts

R

ronrca

Sure thing. Im just waiting for a reply from petwarehouse about shipping to Canada.  *thumbsupsmiley*

Oct 22, 2002
Yo - I have an RO unit. Mine came with the equipment to mount it to the inside wall of the cabinet under the sink. I would have had to purchase the hardware myself to "T" it in to the pipes under the sink. But it came with a neat attachment for the faucet. I had to get a special faucet attachment, but it only cost $2, so that is cool. Now I just grab the RO unit, set it on the counter and snap the hose to the fauce and turn it on. Easy as pie. I'll never go back to sucky water.

R

ronrca

Cool! The question I have and something that I have always been wondering about is this: I have a 45G barrel that I use of conditioning the water but I have to fill it up again. So I connect the RO to the faucet and turn it on. What happens? How long will it take to fill a 45G barrel? and what happens with the waste? Another barrel or drain? How much waste? I know the fill rate depends on the filter. Ok, well, lets say its a 100Gpd Ro filter. Roughly it should take half a day. Correct? Well, half a day is 12 hours. Do you leave the filter connected and the faucet on for 12 hours unsupervised? I know you can get shutoff valves and stuff. Im just curious as to how this operates. I know the filtering part.

Thanks!

Oct 22, 2002
Tonight I will try to take some pix of the faucet attachment to post for you. Here is a link to a product review I wrote:

http://watergardens.coolnessdojo.com/pr_rofilter.html

To answer your questions:

1. The volume over time output of RO filters is usually a factor of cost (ie: more spendy = faster filtration). I've timed mine, and it takes about an hour per gallon. Which is just about right: it's rated at 25 gallons per day. I just filled my 55 gallon aquarium. It was a 3 day process.

2. The "waste" water generated is not that much.

3. I leave my RO filter going unsupervised. The only problem I had was once my waste water tube came loose and started spraying all over ... I have the good water tube stuck in the water collection barrel. Oh, and the waste water is actually filtered nicely. It's just not RO filtered. My RO filter came with  mechanical and carbon filters as well - so my waste water is high quality waste. I fill the icewater pitcher from that waste water output.

Status
Not open for further replies.