removing amonia

jeromegsp

Medium Fish
Aug 14, 2003
tx
Visit site
i got this bottle of amquel instant water detoxifier will that help w/ removing amonia or will i need to do a 25% water change? i was juke by lfs they said it should only take 7 days to cycle a tank......doh!! i should of check forum 1st

madhippoz

Large Fish
Jan 14, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Visit site
Depends how big your tank is, but I'd say its being a tad optimistic that its going to cycle in 7 days. I wouldn't bother with the chemical, go with water changes. If you haven't already read the article on the nitrogen cycle on this website. It explains that Ammonia(fish waste) gets converted by one type of bacteria into nitrites. Nitrites get converted by a second type of bacteria into Nitrates. Nitrates get removed with water changes/absorbed to a degree by plants. You're in the first stage of the cycle, and playing around with chemicals will likely just mess things up worse. Do you have fish in the tank yet? How many and what kind? Is it a brackish tank? Are you adding in marine salt already?

jeromegsp

Medium Fish
Aug 14, 2003
tx
Visit site
i had 4 mollies but 1 molly came to his dismise by my gsp and also 2 ghost shrimp its a 20 gallon tank i have done a 25% water change about 4 days ago and regarding plants its all fake stuff and its not brackish quite yet i have salinity at 1.003

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
ammonia will go away relatively quickly as your tank cycles...if you use the amquel you will get false readings on your test kit because it doesn't actually remove the ammonia from the water, it detoxifies it...and until the chemical is completely out of your tank (through water changes) you will get funky ammonia readings.

Also...doing water changes before your tank is cycled will severely extend the time it takes for your tank to cycle. Whoever said your tank would cycle in 7 days didn't know what they were talking about unless you've put Bio-Spira in your tank or heavily seeded it with filter media from another tank (and even then its no guarantee)

Do you have ammonia/nitrite and nitrate test kits? If you haven't used the amquel yet I would take it back to the lfs and pick up those test kits...and then come back and read up on the cycle some more.

Feb 22, 2003
Rhode island...on a island
ya that stuff you got sounds like shit i tried this no more algea tablet the shits worthless i put one in like it said nothing so i put in 2 then i put in all the other ones for the hell of it nothing happend sorry i got off subject but just lettin you know from my exp. that tablets and most chemicals trying to remove anything most likly work