Ready to Begin Cycle

madpad

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
OK guys Im ready to proceed. Quick ? before I watch water sit for a couple weeks.Im using the fishless cycle and I dont have access to established media.After I start the amonia addition can I use something like Proquatic Bacteria starter during the cycle or am I better off skipping this stuff? Ive got all my test kits,filter,heater,python,buckets,gravel etc.How many drops for a 60 gallon tank?
Thanks for all the help this past week.I learn more in here then asking people who run the stores.I will keep you posted throughout.

R

ronrca

I have a 90G that I started with 2 capfuls. Now Im up to 4 capfuls. After about a week, add some bottled bacteria to kick start the bacteria cultures. Believe me, if I didnt use bottled bacteria, I still would be waiting for the ammonia to go down.

sharkbait

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Madpad,
You should add enough ammonia to bring your test readings to 5 ppm.  You should add the ammonia at the same time every day.  Set the thermostat on your heater to 85[sup]o[/sup], this provides the optimal conditions for bacteria growth.
It is my personal opinion that the bottled bacteria is a waste of money.  All the research that I have done leads me to the conclusion that it is a bunch of hogwash.(sorry ronrca :))  I have even run side by side comparisons (using Cycle)on ten gallon aquariums with no noticeable effect or advantage.
Keep us all posted on how it's going.