RCC's

Mar 22, 2016
Pennsylvania
I'm fairly new to having a small aquarium. Maybe a week or so.

I bought 2 red claw crabs last week. Before long after putting them in the tank I found both of them on their backs. I did some research and read a lot about molting, so I decided to leave them alone and give it until the next night. Still on their backs. Not moving. Okay... So I took them to PetSmart, where I bought them, and talked to a woman that knew a lot about crabs and had them test my water since I have well water. She assured me that my water is fine but my crabs were dead. Then she told me about water temperatures and filtering and all that good stuff. I learned that my crabs weren't molting, they were freezing.

So I bought 3 more crabs and a heater and let it get to 78/80 degrees Fahrenheit before I put them in. They seemed great. Not extremely active, but they weren't just sitting around either. They would climb up on the top of their driftwood and sit in the return water coming out of the filter. I thought everything was okay.

5.5 g tank, three crabs, plenty of above water space, sand, a heater set to 78, a filter and some air.

So yesterday before I went to bed I noticed one of them on its back. Okay. Maybe he's molting? I tell myself to give it until today to see if anything changes. His legs move a little once in a while and his little pouch is open, but other than that, nothing.

Just a few minutes ago I noticed a second crab on its back, barely moving.

Why do all of my crabs keep dying? Am I doing something wrong?

I was planning on making the water brackish once they got used to their new surroundings. If they keep dying their won't be a point.

Mar 22, 2016
Pennsylvania
UPDATE: The ph is a bit low at 6.5. So I added something to balance that. Nitrates and ammonia levels are good.

I don't have to worry about chlorine, I have well water. The hardness of my water is a bit high.

Last night I started to convert to a brackish environment. I only added a little bit of aquarium salt, maybe half a teaspoon or so, so they can adapt gradually instead of all at once. I got some tap water and let the salt evaporate and then poured it in front of the filter.

But I can't think of anything else that could be killing my crabs.

Any advice or recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Do you have a test kit for ammonia? With a new tank, if you haven't cycled it the fish (or crab) waste will remain in the water and build up as ammonia, which is toxic. There are some stickies at the top of the forum about cycling. Since you currently have inhabitants, the best method is to do frequent water changes to reduce the ammonia (physically remove the ammonia). Always make sure to add water that has been dechlorinated and is about the same temp.