random SW questions as i come up with them. haha.

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
hello,

so after work today, i'll go pick up my new tank. so a few questions for y'all.

1. my refugium is 18inches TALL. so it's alot taller than my sump (which resides next to the refugium). so the two holes i was going to drill was..1) 1inch hole at the top part of the refugium and 2) another 1inch hole about an inch below the top hole. the top hole is a safety hole just in case something clogs my bottom hole.

2. when the water comes down into my refugium and sump, do i want to opening to be below the water level? or have it so it falls into the refugium/sump like a waterfall?

3. my return pipe is a 1inch tube i think. is that sufficient. i have that built-in overflow with the inch hole and my pump is the dolphin which has a return rate of 570 gph.

4. any does and don'ts regarding the plumbing. this will be my first plumbing job. haha. hope i dont flood my house.

5. oh yeah. my refugium is 14x14x18. do u think baffles are necessary?

6. also, where the water flows into my sump, do i need a valve to control the flow or let it free-flow. i came up with that question after seeing this diagram....

http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35955&highlight=refugium+sump+setup

more to come as always. thanks in advance,

johnny *thumbsupsmiley*

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Re: random SW questions as i come up with them. ha

2.  Mine just goes directly below the water.  Either way will do but I just don't like things to splash around too much under my stand given all that saltwater creeps.
3.  Return line seems sufficient.
4.  Concerning plumbing, are you using PVC? flexible tubing etc.?  I got my big tank and I haven't figure that out yet.  On my smaller tank, I have PVC that connects from my overflow and use tubing for return.  You may consider using those things (O-ring?) that make a tight seal between tubing and PVC.  If you use only PVC, you might consider getting those unions in case you want to disconnect the PVC.  That's because the PVC glue is permanent.
5.  Why do you need baffles in your refugium when it's draining to the sump? ???  Usually you can put a strainer attachment to the bulkhead if you are worried about snails getting stuck.
6.  I have no idea why she placed the bulkhead so low in her refugium setup.  If she puts it that low, all the water will drain out of the refugium and that is why she needed to restrict flow as not to empty the entire refugium.  If you have the bulkhead high, it only drains to the point where your bulkhead is.  All you need is a gate valve/or ball valve (I guess people like gate valves for better control) from the overflow diverted to the refugium.