Random mysterious plant growing a flower

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
So a few months ago I posted a picture of this random grassy plant that sprouted. I didn't plant it, oddly enough. But I did confirm that it has a bulb and not roots and once it started growing it shot up fast, even with the fish picking away at it. So here it is now almost a foot tall and it has a tall stem in the middle that is tipped with what I think is a flower bud. My first thought was that it resembles a day lily, and then it hit me... water lily. That would explain the timing (perennial) and it being a bulb. I don't know for sure just a guess, let me know what you guys think. I've included the before and after.

bulb.jpg DSCN0960.jpg

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; May be an aponegeton(sp?). They grow quickly from bulbs and have flowered for me in the past. If memory serves the stalk may breach the waters surface and produce some small white flowers. i also seem to recall losing some of the flowers/stalks when they grew to close to the light bulbs back when the old style bulbs were much hotter.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Thanks, skjl47. I googled pics of aponegeton, the leaves are the same shape but my plant lacks that wavy appearance the the images had. However after looking up other aquatic bulbs, aponegeton definitely comes the closest.

Thanks KcMopar, we're pretty proud of that jewel, and it is fat. We got lucky too, his colors just keep getting more vibrant.