question about molly fry

mzimmy

Medium Fish
Feb 4, 2003
NH
My molly just had her babies, wel I don't know if she just had them, she could have had them last night, but I just noticed the little black fishys swimming around in there. I caught 9 of them, thats all I saw. 2 are dying. The rest are just resting at the bottom of the breeder...is this normal? I fed them as soon as they were all caught! I just wanted to know if it was normal for the fry to just sit at the bottom of the breeder! Thanks
megan

I was htinking of not posting to this, lol just becuase it's a boring subject to me, but then i relized you're a begineer so i'll help you.

It really depends there snot a lot of room in breeders so the babies may be shocked, depressed, or dying, I know my baby fish never sit on bottom there always active!!

I have baby
Guppies
Platies
Swordtails
Mollies

FishQueen

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
hmm... what are you feeding them? It may be that it is too big for them and they can't eat it... maybe they're just resting. Personally, I've never kept a breeder, my guppies were just fine without one... some were eaten, but it helped keep the population down cuz they were in a 2 gallon. soooo i really have no clue what's going on... sorry!

mzimmy

Medium Fish
Feb 4, 2003
NH
Thanks....there are about 6 very active ones, and the 7 other ones are resting on the gravel, moving every now and then. I am feeding them every hour, with powder fish food. I found all the fry hidden in the gravel...one was swimming, and the mommy was flat, so thats how i knew. I am sure that some might have survived if i left them in there. Thanks again fishqueen
megan

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
How now brown cow! :D

I keep huge numbers of mollies for breeding purposes. When mollies give birth, the fry will hide and stay pretty much motionless for up to 48 hours. If there are good places to hide, chances are, you will miss most of the new-born.

The fry stay still because they are adapting to their new enviornment. Their muscles aren't quite developed enough to swim in moving water; after all, they have just been born! Still movement up to 72 hours is perfectly normal.

mzimmy

Medium Fish
Feb 4, 2003
NH
wow..........i wish i knew that they stay motionless, cause i took them out of there breeder and put them in a gallon tank...and wondering now if they will die from a transfer......!!so i could have left them in the breeder then. Do you think i should put them back in the breeder in the tank, even though its a small breeder? The gallon tank they are in, isn't working out os well for them...? what do you think!
Thanks!!
Megan

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
Aber: Chances are you are missing the newborn action. Fish are just like that.

MZ: Fry are kind of weird. At first, all they are concerned with is being able to survive. They do this by hiding any way they can. After a while, they will begin to swim about, even in the presence of danger (why I have no idea). They are tougher than you would think! Heck, I'm almost convinced that they are tougher than their elders!

mzimmy

Medium Fish
Feb 4, 2003
NH
Do you think i could put them back in the breeder in the tank? Can they live happily in there until they get bigger? What I have them in now, i would rather not have them in there! The temp in there is about 70-72, can't get it any warmer. But in the 10g its 76-78.
thanks
Megan