question about molly and guppy fry!

mzimmy

Medium Fish
Feb 4, 2003
NH
Recently my guppy gave birth to about 65 fry, and my Molly gave birth to about 10. So far I would say about 50 of the guppies are still alive(after 2 week) and the 6 of the mollies are alive(after about 2 1/2weels). My question is, the mollies are about 4 times the size of the guppies!! I mean they are a lot bigger! I was wondering if anyone knew if this was normal. I would say they are about 3/4 inch. I feed them about 4 times a day, in small amounts, and leave the light on for about 8-10 hours a day. After a lot of research, i found that leaving the light on the long is very helpful for them, they are very active when the ligh is on. I keep an eye on the temp, so that it doesn't get to high. I have tried very hard to find out the growth of molly and guppy fry, but I really can't find anything. Thanks in advance!
Megan

cory

Medium Fish
Apr 30, 2003
In
Visit site
i have to same thing happen to me. my mollies grow really fast. and guppies very slow. i am not sure why but mine is like that, too. My mollies like the light on all the time. When i turn the light off they freak out. when i turn the lights out over my guppies they eat the babies.. I guess they get in the way..

Apr 30, 2003
New Zealand
Visit site
the same thing happened to me except it was with platies. my baby platies are 2 weeks old and are as big as my guppy babies that are 1 month! i think it has something to do with platies being a bigger fish overall - maybe the same deal with mollies The babies definatly like a lot of light and a lot of plants. it is best to keep them in a seperate tank but the tank doesnt need to be very big obviously. i keep my babies in a 60 litre tank - no idea how much that is in gallons maybe 5?

fishboy

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Cincinnati, Ohio
Actually mollies fry are quite a bit larger at birth than other livebearers like guppies. However guppies do take time to mature, i have about 20-30 right now that are 4 months old, and almost mature.

Tetra girl: Hehe.... i kept mine in a 2 1/2 gallon tank, only with twice daily water changes of 95%.

60 liters equals about 16 gallons.

Good luck,
Daniel

mzimmy

Medium Fish
Feb 4, 2003
NH
I have them all in a 5 1/2 gallon tank. So far no fighting, or eating of the guppies is being done by the mollies. They just wanna eat 247. I am going on vacation for a week, so i have to *SIGH*, transport them to a friends house! Not looking foward to it!