Question about Betta

Aug 6, 2009
Hey all!
I just got a new betta this morning and put him in my 10 g tank. I gave him a few drinks of my tank water, and did the move slowly over a half hr.
The betta is staying at the bottom and looks almost scared. I have 2 neons, one marble pleco, and 3 guppies in the tank. He goes up for some air and right back down to the bottom. Hes also doing this weird semi-gasping thing. My tank has been well established for 3 months, i do weekly 50% water changes, and never have had any problems. Should i take him out of the tank? Ive always successfully had a betta with my other fish.
I dont want him to die! The other fish are leaving him alone.
Help!

shanec

Small Fish
May 2, 2009
Ireland
im sure hes just acclimatising, my betta stayed on a leaf and only came up for air for a few days when i first got him...the journey may have been stressful for him and he should be exploring in a few days at the most...don't tap on the glass or try to get him to move as you will only stress him more...leave him be for a day or two (but still check for signs of disease)

because there is other fish already in the tank to him he is in there territory so he may not be as boisterous as you expect for the first few days neways...

also 50% water changes is quiet high i would stick to 25% water changes once a week...i take it the tank is cycled and you test the water regularly?

Aug 6, 2009
YEs the tank is cycled. I didnt know 50% was too much, i will do 25% from now on. Thanks for the tip!
I took the betta out and out him in a bowl and he seems happier. Can i try to put him back in the tank? Thats where i want him to be.
It looks like he has popeye. Should i just keep him out?
Thanks for your help!

RexyTexel

Large Fish
Apr 29, 2009
Maryland
If you think he has pop eye then keep him out.

If he's healthy just keep him in one place. Taking him in and out of your tanks is just going to stress him out a lot. It's best to just leave him in your tank and let him get settled. You can't expect him to acclimate that fast.

50% isn't that high at all. I know people who do 100% water changes and have kept fish for years. I've always considered the more freshwater your fish see the happier they'll be.

Mixicano

Small Fish
Aug 7, 2009
Milwaukee
you didn't mention what kind of filtration you have... one possibility is if you have power heads (which i doubt in a 10 gallon), or any other kind of outside filter, even if you just have unrestricted airflow on your pump, the water may be moving too fast for him, and with a betta's long fins they are not strong swimmers in fast currents

RexyTexel

Large Fish
Apr 29, 2009
Maryland
In my experience, 50% water changes are not too much. I do 50% water changes on 5 freshwater aquariums and have never had any water parameter problems nor unexpected fish losses. I've used that method for 10+ years.
Exactly. I mean in the wild there are species of fish who experience gallons upon gallons of freshwater every hour. I don't think too much freshwater is bad for fish. Especially since most of your good bacteria is in the filter floss of the cartridges. Not really the water.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
You have to remember most bettas are raised in tiny cups of water for their entire lives. If you suddenly dump them into tanks where they have room to swim and tankmates, it can be a huge shock. As humans we tend to think "He'll be so happy to have room to swim!", but as a betta, he's used to having no water current to fight against and a cup all to himself.

If you do want to introduce him to a larger tank, it's best to be done slowly. I would first turn off the filter with any water current for at least 24 hours after adding him to give him a chance to acclimate.

Aug 6, 2009
Thank you all for your help. He is in a bowl by himself
and seems happy.
Im going to wait a few weeks before putting him in my tank.
His bowl is beside another betta fish bowl and
he is starting to make a bubble nest!! Its so cool!

Aug 14, 2009
Corbin, KY
Happy Bettas

My Betta, Lapis Lazuli, was very happy in his 1.5 gallon tank. The Filter was an Undergravel Filtration System. It just created bubbles in his tank. But, when I got my new 3 gallon tank, it had a differend pump. Lapis did not do too well with this filter & he passed away the next morning. The other fish I had in the tank are still doing very well. I have added 2 GloFish Danios & a Painted Glass Tetra with the Sailfin Pleco & Yellow Mystery Snail. In the old tank, I have a new Betta, Ceylon Spinel, with 4 Neon Tetras. Everyone is very happy. The Betta would not leave the Neons alone at first, but they all swim around good now. So, if your Betts is happy in a bowl now, it may be best to keep him there or get a small tank to keep him in. Good luck to you! *GOLDFISH*