Queries on aquarium wood...

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
I'm about to launch into my next project, a south american themed 56 gallon aquarium to hold a few discus etc.

A heavy feature of this type of habitat is rootwood and I can't seem to find any anywhere! I've considered digging up some form of shrub or young tree and utilising the roots but this causes problems, chiefly the amount of time I'd need to spend preparing the wood (drying, possibly sandblasting, soaking), so this is a last resort.

Anyone know where I might be able to find any online? I've had a search around various websites and auctions but nothing seems to take my fancy.. this is the sort of thing I'm looking for:

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I plan on starting a journal on its set-up when it finally goes to plan. :)

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
Its tough to find perfect wood for your setup, i feel your pain. I've been point here a couple of times, though she doesn't have anything really branchy, she does have some decent stumps from time to time.

eBay Store - SANDY'S HOUSE OF DRIFTWOOD AND MORE: DRIFTWOOD, HOME AND GARDEN

Grapevine would work, but its usually pretty thick and won't give you the nice thin bunch of roots like the picture.

Wish i could help more, i'll keep looking around.

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
I actually found my perfect piece of wood before! It was on a refuge pile from a building site at my school, they'd dug up a huge amount of a garden between some of the buildings and there sticking out of it was this huge root system which just looked perfect...

...and I couldnt get in to get it :(
So I'll have to keep looking! Unless it's still there on monday, I may have to try a bit harder to get in, which is difficult with 2 bags and wearing a suit! lol
It's so frustrating!