Puffers and Kenyis?

Can figure 8 puffers be kept with kenyi cichlids? I wouldn't put mine in there now, he's still a baby (to me, lol) but later when I get a larger tank (55g), it would be cool to see him with alot more swimming room to putt around in. I keep clowns with my kenyis now and they don't seem to care, so would my puffer be fine with them?

420Loach

Superstar Fish
May 26, 2003
Makaha, Hawaii
Visit site
kenyis might be able to tolerate a puffer in a large enough tank, but with age and maturity comes more aggressiveness on both sides and the stress level for them would be unreal. puffers tend to search the tank constantly for food, and this might piss off a few established kenyi in there own territory. i know what you mean about wanting to see your puffer swim around in a bigger area though. the 29 should be a palace for him.:D

GRaff71884

Medium Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Saint Louis
Visit site
I have 2 mature figure 8 puffers in a 29g with 2 africans, a rusty and a kenyi. They all seem to get along great, no aggressiveness or fin nipping what so ever. I had the 2 puffers in there first, then added the baby rusty and baby kenyi from a tank full of babies my brother came up with out of his 55g african tank. Kept one of each, and got rid of the rest. The baby africans are gettin good size now and still no problems at all in the tank.