Puffer Tankmates?

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
OK, so I am adopting MOsborne05's Figure 8 Puffers along with there dwarf platty, snail, and bumble bee goby tankmates soon. I was planning on putting them in my spare 47gal for now, but I am considering moving my guppies and tetras to the 47gal, the oto to the 6 gal and putting the puffers, bb gobys, and dwarf platties in the 75gal. Could I attempt to add anything else after a while?

Knight gobys? Mono Argentus? Mollies? Anything else? Would any other inverts be OK? Crabs, etc...?

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
I would say try it because my puffers are really docile and have never bothered anything that I have put with them, that is if they are big enough. Just make sure that you add the puffers last, so that they don't have time to establish territories. Scats are cool, but they get pretty big. Maybe Brack-Man will chime in, I think he has some :)

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I wouldn't go with Mono's or Scats just because they require higher brackish conditions then F8's and when they mature even full marine. And yes, they both do get very big. I have GSP with my Mono and Scat.

I don't know about crabs......probably not. The puffers would most likely harrass it. Mollies would be fine.............glassfish, knight gobies.

MO you are getting rid of your F8's!!!!!! :eek: I must have missed your post on that.

:eek: Sorry it took me so long to reply to this, we had a major power outage this afternoon, lasted about six and a half hours :eek: just got power back on a little bit ago.

Definitely not scats or monos, they do get quite LARGE :eek: , I've barely had my scats a year, and they are already aproaching 6" long, nose to tail. Crabs might do ok, but you have to give them a way to get out of the water, and a source of fresh water for them to equalize their salt contents. IMO some other type of gobies would be good, or mabye some chromides.

MO are you leaving the brackish world forever? :confused:

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
How are you guys doing the switch? Just curious, I think it's pretty cool that those puffers get to stay within the "MFT" Family :) Do you guys live far apart?

My three f8's lived with a molly for a while, until he began nibbling on their slime coat. I removed him and put him in my 55 FW tank. It could have been just poor luck on my part, and the individual personality of the molly.

I had one BB goby but he only lived a couple days in the tank. However, Morgan has had good luck with hers.

I'd love to get a larger goby in there, but they never seem to be for sale around here, plus my tank is already overstocked so it's just as well. If you do get a Knight, I'd be really interested in how it works out!

Good luck with your puffs!!!!!! :D

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Thanks guys. The reason I asked about the scat is because I was thinking about moving them tot he 75 and hubby has been oogling them for a while, I figured they would be OK in there and hopefully by the time they reach adult size, we'll have a SW tank up, if not, we can donate him to someone who does. If it's not a good idea though, I can skip out on that one.

If I got any crab, the bottom of the tank would be all sorts of caves and hidies so he could at least hide well, give him a little chance, but at $2 a pop, I think I may have to see how red crabs do, I miss mine. These puffers really do seem pretty doscile, the BB Gobys swim ring in front of there faces with no fear and they don't take a second glance. same witht he platties, in fact the one seems almost intimidated by the platties. LOL

I'll look into some of the others and see what I can find.

F8Fan, she put them in a bucket with some live plants and old substrate and drove half way, we drove half way and just moved everything from her car to ours and headed home! :) worked out quite nicely. We live about an hour and 1/2 apart. I think it's fun to have them stay in the MFT family too! :) Definitly neat.

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
I'm leaving the brackish world temporarily :( I really like having live plants, and with the brackish tank it was really hard to keep them looking nice. I knew Virgo would give them a good home, so I opted to focus on the aquascaping aspect of aquariums. I plan on getting a couple blue rams eventually. I thought about dwarf puffers but with a tank that big, they are kind of hard to find :eek:

Virgo ~ yeah did I mention that Moe was a wuss? He doesn't like it if you get too close to the tank and stare at him either :p