puffer questions

hcover

Medium Fish
Apr 22, 2006
Missouri
My daughter is thinking of getting a puffer or two. She has a 10g and a 20g and could do some switching around. We are prepared to go brackish with one of them.

Question 1: How many puffers should be housed per 10 gallons, just one? The type we saw today are green spotted puffers.

Question 2: Is there anything, like a flounder that is compatable with a puffer or two? We keep seeing "species only"

Question 3: Can a cory cat adapt to a brackish environment if it's done very gradually?

Igor The Cat

Superstar Fish
Jul 14, 2003
Seattle, Washington
1. GSP will not fit in anything under 30gal. but you could have some FW drawfs.

2. Nope, flounders really need a species tank. ive seen F8s and GSP pick on the flounders consently.

3. Again no, cories wont work in brackish, id look at some of the smaler BW gobies like the bumble bee.

cheers

-Java

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
The rule of thumb for puffers is 2-3 gallons for each dwarf, 10-15 gallons for each figure 8 and 30 gallons for each GSP. Dwarf puffers are small and are freshwater, figure 8's are brackish water and GSP are brackish when young and full marine as adults. I would suggest dwarf puffers because you really don't have enough room for the other two. Some people have successfully kept dwarf puffers with otos and shrimp, and even other fish if the puffs aren't too aggressive. And all puffers like a densely planted jungle with a few small openings. The more plants/driftwood/rocks, the better for a puffer because they get bored easily. Some even like to ride on bubble walls. And either buy 1 or 3+ because that will help spread out the aggression.

hcover

Medium Fish
Apr 22, 2006
Missouri
Thanks, I think she's going with the dwarf puffers in the 10g. 3 probably and there are 2 algea eaters still in the tank. Everything else is moved to the 20g. Those algea eaters were a bugger to catch. We got 2 of them and couldn't get 2.

Should we try again before putting the puffers in - they're fairly large and orange. Do you think the puffers will pick on them?

Oh by the way, Mosborne, that's a whippet on your couch, isn't it? Very lovely dog. I have 2 whippets on my couch, a black brindle, and a solid white. They're the best house dogs ever.

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
Do you know what kind of algae eaters they are? If they are otos they should be fine, and cory cats are hit or miss. Leave them in and if the puffs start aggravating them, then take them out. Make sure you use lots of plants and driftwood in the tank though, to break up the lines of sight. And we want pics! :)

Nope, that's a little bigger than a whippet :p She's a 2 1/2 year old Great Dane who weighs about 130 pounds!

hcover

Medium Fish
Apr 22, 2006
Missouri
Well, even if she's not a whippet, she's a beauty. Look at that sweet face!

The algea eaters were labeld as chineese algea eaters, not otos, although I was looking for otos at the time. They're 2-3 inches long, skinny, very fast, and orange, but I've seen the same thing in brown and albino.

We got the cory out and if it's a problem, we can chase those guys out today before we put in any dwarfs. I don't want to wait and have to upset the puffers trying to catch the little buggers.

And, I guess if we're going to do otos for cleaning crew, we need to have them in first? Then, the more agressive dwarfs? The tank is cycled so if that's not necessary, we could do them all at once.

hcover

Medium Fish
Apr 22, 2006
Missouri
OK, CAEs are out and in my tank. We're floating the 3 dwarf puffers and 2 otos now.

The lfs guy said there wasn't any salt in with them (I asked because at petco and petsmart, they're listed as needing aquarium salt), and that they have been eating brine shrimp, so we got a baggie full of that. We'll try to switch them to flakes and offer snails and ghost shrimp as they get bigger. Hopefully, that will do for them.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
They probably never will take to flake or freeze dryed anything. Mine would only eat frozen..every time I have owned these guys.

Never have been able to keep them alive for longer than 6 months. :(

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
Dwarfs don't really need snails, or salt. Don't put any salt in with them because they are freshwater puffs. You can learn more info here Welcome to the Puffer List or Dwarf Puffers : Home

I would introduce the otos first if you can, that way the puffs haven't already established territories. If you add them at the same time that should be fine too. My f8's ate anything and everything, but I'm not sure about the dwarfs. You can get some frozen mussles at the grocery store, stick them in the freezer and give it to them about once a week. Break it in half, run some warm water over it to thaw it a little, and drop the meaty half in the tank. They will have a ball ripping the meat from the shell, and when they scrape the shell, it helps wear down their teeth. My f8's also liked Tetra baby shrimp, krill, bloodworms, etc.

Pictures, pictures, pictures.................:)

BTW, that sweet face is the reason she's a spoiled brat!!!!!!!!!