Puffer beak trimming

I have'nt done it and honestly hope I dont have to...just wondering though...do your Puffs not eat snails or ghost shrimp...cause that has always worked to keep my Puffs' "teeth trimmed....But from what I have read the above method that you have posted is the only way to "safely" do it by hand...So good luck in your endeavers

Last edited:

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
One method I heard of that doesn't require anesthesia is to use a metal nail file.

Basically, you put the puffer's favorite food on a metal nail file, and hold it while he eats from it and files his beak at the same time. I guess it's worth a try.

As far as I know, as long as the beak isn't so overgrown that he has trouble eating, you should be able to feed extra "shelled" critters for a while until it's under control.

You could try doing a search on the Puffer Forum for alternate methods.

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
In addition to what Lotus said, I've also heard if you smear food into the holes of lava rock or lace rock, it will help wear their teeth down since they are trying to get the food out. Is he having trouble eating?

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
yeah, heh, snails & ghost shrimp.

Two things that aren't legal to sell at petstores here in Maine. They are considered "nuisance" creatures.

And I attempt to get snails, really I do, but it goes down like a drug deal on the DL at the LFS.

ME: sneaking up to the LFS employee in a low voice Psst. Can I get a few of those?

LFS Staff: Ummm, sorry ma'am, can't do that. It's illegal.

ME: C'mon, I need them

LFS Staff: Well..........*shifty eyes*

ME: *even shiftier eyes*I won't tell anyone I promise!

This has happened a few times. I think I have worn out my welcome with it tho, I feel like they think I'm desperate for a "fix":p

I feed them krill, both frozen and freeze dried. His little beak isn't too bad, it's just...noticeable, I guess. He eats like a champ, no problems there.

Lotus and Limi, thanks for those ideas, they sound worth trying out for sure!

Last edited:

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Hmmm.......

50 snails for 5 bucks. Sounds like a deal!*thumbsups And I now I can feel comfortable walking right up to the LFS staff, look them directly in the eye, and say:

I just need 50 mealworms for the geckos, please!

And go home and feel clean and wholesome. Well, feel, almost, PURE, I'd say....

:p Thanks Pure.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Lotus said:
What about breeding snails or shrimp for your puffers?

I've also heard of people feeding small clams or other fresh shellfish (should be plenty of that in Maine).
I have tried the breeding thing with snails, however I can't keep them alive!:rolleyes: I had them in my ten gallon, and it's hard to start a breeding colony when you only get 5-6 or so to start...heh heh. And I have ordered ghost shrimp for them, but I can't really see where they are any more crunchy then the krill I feed them, so I stopped ordering them.

Yup, plenty of shellfish here up North. In fact, I work at a restaurant so I can sneak whatever I want outta the walk-in. I do feed them mussels sometimes as a treat, they are just so big and messy, and all that ends up happening is they pull the meat through the tiny opening and no crunching the shell.

I'm psyched that I can buy "nuisance" snails online. I don't know why I never looked into that, it just never occurred to me. What about ordering live plants online....surely there must be hitchhiker snails on them?