Programming PHP

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Is anyone here a website guru?
I do some basic cosmetic changes to our website at work, and I am trying to figure out how to make text italic in the menu pages.
For instance, say I am typing this:

Crispy Calamari Greek Salad $7.95

I know if I want it to be bold then I type this tag:

<span class="bodyboldmain">Crispy Calamari Greek Salad $7.95 </span>

But what if I wanted it to be italic? Would it be <span class="bodyitalic"> etc. etc.?
Thanks, I'm just frustrated I have been poring over my "programming PHP" book for a 1/2 hour looking for this command and just can't find it!
Thanks!

Biorium

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2004
USA
www.biorium.pro.tc
well ... i'm not very familiar with PHP but a some with ASP

Try putting :

<span class='bodyboldmain'><b>Crispy Calamari Greek Salad $7.95 </b></span>

Sometimes Doble quote causes this kinds of problems :)

I actually thought that you just had to ad <b><b/>

Last edited:

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Hmm, nope that didn't work either.

Eh, scr&w it, I'm just gonna do bold and forget about italic.
Thanks everyone for trying to help me :)

EDIT: Wait! You guys are right, it is as simple as placing the "I" tags around the word...It works!!! Yippee!!
Here's what I'm working on today...check out all the italics! :D
http://www.seadogbrewing.com/seadogmenu.php

Last edited:

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
this may seem a little random but I wanna go to that place REAL bad. It looks so good and sounds like it has amazing food, and become a member of the mug *SUPERSMIL club. I wish it was closer so I could try it out

Last edited:

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Heck you are only in Jersey, you should plan a little weekend road trip this summer up to Maine...:D We'll set you up with some good eats and some even better beer!!!!! *celebrate

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
I believe you're asking a question that concerns CSS (cascading style sheets).

I use the same tags in one website I'm developing now. You can't simply edit the HTML document. Since this is a PHP driven site you are working on, you can edit content (like text) in the .php document, but style changes (like bold & italic) must be edited in the .css document; this is because the PHP document generates the HTML code automatically (you don't actually write a HTML document). If it were not a PHP site, then you could make direct changes to an HTML document.

In the CSS document, you will find preset entries such as "bodyboldmain." For example, I use CSS 'templates' for each site I design (less typing, I'm lazy). An entry looks like this:

.title <----this is the class name, below are the descriptors which make style changes to the particular class
{
FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
COLOR: Black;
FONT-SIZE: 9px;
FONT-WEIGHT: bold;
TEXT-DECORATION: none;
BACKGROUND: none;
}

There are many other descriptors you can use, but I like to keep it simple. If you are using Dreamweaver, editing classes is very easy. So, to make your text italic, simply change FONT WEIGHT to 'none,' and change TEXT-DECORATION to 'italic.' You might also try 'oblique' as well.

To edit the CSS, find the CSS document, usually located in a folder called "STYLE." Open the document in either Dreamweaver or notepad, find the particular class, and edit its properties, save & refresh. Easy! One note: if you think you might like to use both from time to time, just make another class like "bodyitalicmain" with the appropriate properties. You will then need to call to it from the PHP document (just change it like you tried earlier). Your "bodyitalic" didn't work because either there was no class for the PHP document to call to ("bodyitalic" didn't exist), or you were editing the HTML code.

Hope this makes sense! Just look for the CSS, and start editing there.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Excellent...thanks so much Avalon!
Our website was created by some guy in Florida two years ago and has been passed around to different people to update it. I have very very limited knowledge of HTML but I know how to log into the FTP server and make, like I said, very cosmetic changes such as text, inserting some pictures, etc.
Dreamweaver sounds VERY familiar, I believe I heard one of the Computer Guys here at work (not here anymore - wish he was!) talking about Dreamweaver.
Free beers for all of you guys (if you are ever up "heyah" in Maine, ayuh), for helping me through this frustrating day, I actually got all the new menu items on the site and now I'm calling it a day! :D

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
Heh heh, dreamweaver...

I make my living on the internet and use dreamweaver. it's a wonderful program and you don't even have to know rudimentary html to utilize it and make professional pages, though it's helpful to know some if there's a problem and you have to go into the script.

The site looks great, good work!

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Thanks, Lordroad, all I've got are the generated scripts on the FTP server. (No Dreamweaver on my work computer...just "notepad" to make HTML changes) But I got the new menu updated, next step is get the entertainment page updated (didja notice it hasn't been updated since February???) ha ha
But it is pretty cool for a novice like me to see the completed webpage and know that, hey, I did that!!!! :D

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
Yes, very cool site! Now that's a place I'd like to hang out at--good food at good prices, & good beer! You are a lucky guy!

I was browsing the site and was kind of wondering why it was coded in PHP. There really is no reason for it to use a scripting language. The input form would be ok, but you could simply input the PHP script locally (insert a section of code like java script) rather than globally (the entire site), but I really don't think you would need it at all. This site could be "deconstructed" from PHP to HTML if you wanted it...

Anyway, I think you need to convince your employer that you need Dreamweaver if you must do website upgrades! I used to design in MS FrontPage, but let me tell you, FP fails miserably in comparison to Dreamweaver. Once I got to piddling in DW, it took me about an hour before I was hooked; the program literally does everthing and anything you want, and automates routine things for you *intelligently, unlike that stupid paperclip* so you can be far more efficient. I also recommend one of the official DW guides you can pick up at Barnes & Noble ($50). They cover just about everything, including things you never thought about, thoughout their 1000 pages.

Good luck on the project! If you have any questions, I can help you out. I can also help you locate a cheap copy of DW as well. Does the store bottle this brew and ship it as well? *hint hint* :D

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Avalon said:
Yes, very cool site! Now that's a place I'd like to hang out at--good food at good prices, & good beer! You are a lucky guy!

I was browsing the site and was kind of wondering why it was coded in PHP. There really is no reason for it to use a scripting language. The input form would be ok, but you could simply input the PHP script locally (insert a section of code like java script) rather than globally (the entire site), but I really don't think you would need it at all. This site could be "deconstructed" from PHP to HTML if you wanted it...

Anyway, I think you need to convince your employer that you need Dreamweaver if you must do website upgrades! I used to design in MS FrontPage, but let me tell you, FP fails miserably in comparison to Dreamweaver. Once I got to piddling in DW, it took me about an hour before I was hooked; the program literally does everthing and anything you want, and automates routine things for you *intelligently, unlike that stupid paperclip* so you can be far more efficient. I also recommend one of the official DW guides you can pick up at Barnes & Noble ($50). They cover just about everything, including things you never thought about, thoughout their 1000 pages.

Good luck on the project! If you have any questions, I can help you out. I can also help you locate a cheap copy of DW as well. Does the store bottle this brew and ship it as well? *hint hint* :D
First, I'm a "girl" :)
Why is it coded as it is??? Heck I dont know. All I know is I have a website link and a password to sign into, to update text.
I have eTomi Pro and have searched around and seen that Dreamweaver is avavilable for download, not that I have downloaded it yet, mind you, becasue it would be less than legal, right ;) However, I will see if I can get more information about tooling around in this program and see I can understand it :)
Yep! We brew it and as far as shipping, I would need to get in touch with
Tami at our brewing facility/owner www.shipyard.com to see who the local distributor would be where you live. Lubbock, TX, correct? If you EVER get a chance, try out the Blueberry Wheat Ale, it's really awesome and I get about 5 emails a day from all over the US as to where they can purchase it locally.
Thanks for checking out our site :D :D :D