powder blue dwarf gourami

no.1chuy

Large Fish
May 22, 2009
Las Vegas
how many male dwarf gourami can i put in a 35 gallon tank? if i put females in there will start to spawn and try to kill off their tankmates? or does spawning only happen when you lower the aquarium water

no.1chuy

Large Fish
May 22, 2009
Las Vegas
well i guess two is ok.... so far everything is cool but they have only been in there for like 6 hours if they get along i might consider adding some females. so far their tankmates are 1 peacock eel 2 gold dust mollys and 3 swordtails and 4 dwarf puffers ( i know these puffers can be agressive and what not but i have kept them swordtails since i got them with no problems ) i plan on adding 2 or 3 more gold mollys and taking out the sword tales

no.1chuy

Large Fish
May 22, 2009
Las Vegas
do gouramis swim aroud alot or do they just chill most of the time? im asking cuz the ones i have dont swim around all over the tank they eat and swim but they are just not as active as the mollies and im wondering if thats just how they are

Sep 10, 2004
Texas
Visit site
I have only had one neon blue dwarf gourami. He wasn't very active in the tank but was a very peaceful fish. I really like dwarf gouramis. If you are able, move the dwarf puffers. I have heard nothing but disaster stories about them. I would give them a tank all to themselves. Good luck. :)

no.1chuy

Large Fish
May 22, 2009
Las Vegas
i used to keep them in a 20 gallon all by them selfs i had 8 but the tank looked kinda empty so i added 3 swordtail fry and 2 white mollys and one black fry. the mollys just kept multiplying and the dwarf puffers just kept to them selfs. them i lost two to the filter intake, because i made a hole in for diy co2 so the bubbles would go into the intake, and they got sucked in. then two just disapered i never any remains or anything.
so far i've been lucky and have not had any aggression.

no.1chuy

Large Fish
May 22, 2009
Las Vegas
had to quaratine both dwarf gouramis today. today i noticed that both of them had only about half of thier feelers left and one of them looked like it was "dissolving" away. one of the DG also has a big brown spot on his lower fin. im gonna pic up a med for finrot tomarrow but i really dont think the one with the brown spot is gonna make it thru the nite. so far i dont think it was the dwarf puffer that did the damage because the swordtail still has a full tail but them again he is faster. but there is that brown spot on one of the DG

stoddern

Large Fish
Jul 26, 2009
Vermont
I have 1 dwarf blue and 1 golden gourami in a 20g long with plants a cave and 2 zebra danios and I have no issues the only gourami issue I have had was when I first got the gourami I got those 2 plus another golden that was half the size of the golden I now I have and the bigger one bulled and killed the smaller one but he leaves the dwarf alone infact the dwarf goes after him some and the golden is now at 2 1/2 inches while the dwarf is around an inch

no.1chuy

Large Fish
May 22, 2009
Las Vegas
i saw some golden gouramis at the store they look cool. so far i havnt noticed my gourami bulling or being bullied by anyone. oh yeah the one with the brown spot died yesterday and today i put the other one back in the tank he is eating good and his feelers havent got worst but im gonna keep an eye on him. if they get shorter or he is being bullied by the dwarf gouramis im gonna have to decide which one i like better. what kind of lights do you have for your 20 gal? have you ever heard of spearhead anubias? i not sure of the name and i only found one pix that look like my plant thats what they call it. well anyways i have two of those and anubais nana i like them cuz they are low maintence.

stoddern

Large Fish
Jul 26, 2009
Vermont
unfortanatlly the only hood I found has a single bulb fixture, it's from marineland and came with thier daylight bulb I also have a Hagen aqua-glo I usually go with the daylight bulb but about every other week I give them 2-3 days of the aqua-glo.

from what I could find the spearhead is a name used sometimes for anubia barteri.

my golden has 1 feeler thats abit shorter then the other I asume from fighting with the now dead one, the big thing about gourami and thier aggression is that it tends to be only directed at other gourami specificlly the same sub-species.

I would love to getsome jave moss and java fern. also I am looking for a twin bulb fixture for my hood but I don't think they make one for it.

no.1chuy

Large Fish
May 22, 2009
Las Vegas
my plant looks more like this www.tropica.dk/.../varenr101c_large.jpg i dont know how to do links. i also have java fern im my tank it was one plant but it split into 2 medium plants but its not getting taller and is growing kinda slow.

have you ever heard of dwarf gourami disease? i read that almost all dwarf gouramis have it and thats its a virus and impossible to treat. i think my DG either had that or was bullied by other fish or both his lower fin turned brown.

how many watts is your light? do you think you can fit a 14 watt compact floresent in the fixture? because if you could build one your self the wiring isnt hard at all the hard part is mounting the lightbulb base.

Nov 19, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
had to quaratine both dwarf gouramis today. today i noticed that both of them had only about half of thier feelers left and one of them looked like it was "dissolving" away. one of the DG also has a big brown spot on his lower fin. im gonna pic up a med for finrot tomarrow but i really dont think the one with the brown spot is gonna make it thru the nite. so far i dont think it was the dwarf puffer that did the damage because the swordtail still has a full tail but them again he is faster. but there is that brown spot on one of the DG
i kept a figure 8 dwarf puffer with a gold gourami, neon blue dwarf gourami, and a opaline gourami in my tank all at once. the other gourami's the older they get and the bigger they get the more aggression you see. after about 4" they start to get really aggressive towards other gouramis. but in that time i also watched my figure 8 numerous times nip fins on all my fish which also included 4 plecos, 1 common, 1 hifin, 2 rubber lip, albino rainbow shark, regular rainbow shark, and like 12 tiger barbs, albino, regular, green, and platinum green. i also watched him chomp off 4 feelers off the gouramis. there was always damage everyday by him. sad to say but luckily he died shortly later but he was tearing apart my fish. hope this helps. but gouramis as they get older and more mature even if they are raised up together they CAN become very aggressive towards each other and it can get ugly. just like betta's do. same would happen if you mixed a gourami with a betta (but i think that is only certain sexes and how many you have).

and if your gourami goes long enough healthy and not being bothered his feeler will grow back. ive seen this happen a couple times