Possible Discus TAnk

Nov 17, 2004
Visit site
I just got a 55 gallon, and I have decided to research keeping discus. I have a ffew questions, and I would really appreciate it if someone would answer them. :)

1. The setup would be a 55 gallon with a Penguin 330 and Whisper 5-15 filter. The other tankmates would be 4-6 whiteskirt tetras , 3-4 corydoras, and 6 white clouds. Will this work? If so,how many discus could I get, and how many of each other fish species could I have?

2.I know that tetras and corydoras will probably work since they come from the Amazon as well, but I am not sure about the white clouds. SInce discus get along with small neons, I am mainly concerned with temperature instead of aggression. This tank is in our garage (gets down in the 50s F in winter), so the tanks has a 400watt (i think) heater. Since discus like temperatures around 76-82 degrees F and white clouds like around 76 degrees, would around 76 or 77 be okay?

3.My other question is about water quality for discus. I've read that they do best in soft, alkaline water conditions and need R/O water. Is this true? If it is,will these conditions be suitable for the other fish? Thanks!!

I just tested the GH and pH of my tap water.
pH: around 7.4 or 7.5
GH: I think it was 8 or 9, but the water only turned green; not red first THEN green like the instructions said it was supposed to.

kmukherjee

Medium Fish
Jul 15, 2004
New Jersey
Visit site
Hi StingRay,

I just set-up my 90-gallon discus tank. I have 15 cardinal tetras, 10 neon tetras, 10 white clouds and 6 cories. So far I have stocked my tank with 4 discus - 2 small and 2 medium sized. I hope to get 4 more and then my tank should be complete. It is also lightly planted with amazon sword plants, java moss, driftwood and a sand substrate.

I have an eheim thermo filter & powerhead, aquaclear 500 HOB and a vortex diatomizer running. Can you tell I am a nut on filtration ?

All water levels are stable and my temperature holds at a constant 78 degrees due to the thermo filter.

My lighting is - whatever came with the hood. And it seems really bright but I might upgrade that soon as well to promote plant growth.

From what everyone told me at MFT and what I have researched, Discus need really, really good water conditions to grow and thrive. I haven't bought the R/0 stuff yet, so my fish are in good clean water right now.

I think in a 50-gallon you could easily keep 4-6 large discus and the white clouds will be fine in the 76-77 degree range. I have had my white clouds for a week now and they seem fine.

Hope my long-winded answer helps.

Nov 17, 2004
Visit site
Hmm... Would an Aquaclear 150 or 2 Whisper 5-15s be better? I have those filters already. I could probably buy a new one if really needed, but it can't be as expensive as the Penguins were ($60)

Heres my new stocking plan:
- 5 whiteskirts
- 6 whiteclouds
- 3 corydoras
- 4? discus

kmukherjee

Medium Fish
Jul 15, 2004
New Jersey
Visit site
IMO you would need an Aquaclear 500 to properly filter your tank if you want to go with 1 filter. That should sufficiently filter the water to maintain quite stellar levels for your fishtank.

I have never owned a whisper filter so I wouldn't know.

Here is my rule of thumb:
If you have a 20 gallon tank - get a filter that handles 40-50 gallons
If you have a 50 gallon tank - get a filter that handles 90-110 gallons
If you have a 90 gallon - get a filter that handles a 200-gallon tank.

I know it can seem daunting and expensive, but you can build up to that filtration level, and the Aquaclear filters are great and powerful.

Your stocking plan sounds great. We should share pics once your tank is set-up. Mine is a little embarrasing at the moment with junk all over it - new puppy in the house.

Nov 17, 2004
Visit site
Oh... oops! I meant to use the Aquaclear 150 or the 2 WHispers along with the Penguin 330. Sorry! :eek: I would use all of them with the Penguin 330, but I have a 2nd 55 I'm using for goldfish under this one on an iron stand, and I know that my goldfish are going to need more than just a Penguin 330 also (I got 1 for each tank). Here are my filtration options, please tell me which one would be best:
1) Penguin 330 and 2 Whisper 5-15s
2) Penguin 330 and AC 150
3) Penguin 330, 1 Whisper 5-15, and AC 150
4) Penguin 330 for now,and eventually an AC 200 also

One other question- could I put a female betta in this tank?

Last edited:

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I think you're keeping your discus in water too cold. Get it up to 29,30C or 82F and don't let it slide below that. The discus will thank you for it - at colder temps like below 80 discus can/will become very weak.
This gives your white clouds a problem as they come from much cooler waters. However they seem very adaptable to warmer temps, thoguh I guess it shortens their lives.
Other than that, lots of filtration and water changes. They originated in soft acid water but most cptive bred ones are pretty adaptable

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
Definitely raise your temperature to minimum 81 F.

Concerning filtration, I have a whisper and a wal-mart knockoff pengion on mine. Two are better than one, but I've found with my tank which contains 1 adult wild and a juvenile snakesin that nitrates like to get up to 25 every week. Weekly water changes of at least 25%--that's a lot in a tank this big, and what I do is break it up into two water changes, taking out about three inches of water each time.

It keeps my tank looking clear, and I've had my adult brown for two months with no problems and always showing brilliant color. Your penguin is a step above mine since it has the biowheel. Question... how are you going to strap three filters onto your tank, unless you have a custom hood?

Mar 17, 2004
Visit site
Cool Setup!

I am a little worried though about your white clouds.

They are hardy fish I will admit, but when the temperature goes above 75F they start to look kinda faded, and even though they will "tolerate" warmer water, they just won't be very happy.

But don't even think about lowering your temperature, because you've got Discus and they need warmer water.

Swordtail8

Large Fish
Apr 14, 2004
Northern Michigan
Visit site
My other question is about water quality for discus. I've read that they do best in soft, alkaline water conditions and need R/O water. Is this true? If it is,will these conditions be suitable for the other fish? Thanks!!
I am pretty confident that they like acidic water, not alkaline. The other fish should be fine in those conditions.

I would keep the temperature at least 82 degrees. If white cloud minnows won't work, try rummy-nose tetras, they live in similar water conditions. Since the water has got to be in tip top shape for the discus, it so shouldn't be a problem for the sensitive rummy-noses. Rams are also potential tankmates that like similar water conditions.

If you have discus, rams, white skirt tetras, rummy nose tetras, and corydoras, then you would have all South American fish.