Possible cichlid tank

Aug 13, 2011
www.betrsoutlets.com
I might be (hopefully) getting a 130 gallon tank in the near future. It is a custom tank approx. 30x30x30. I would like to make this a cichlid only tank. My question is...where do cichlids like to hang out. I know they need plenty of hiding places, but do some prefer the upper levels of the tank, middle, or bottom? I don't want to stock the tank with fish that only want to hang on the bottom of the tank. Also, if I build the hiding places up the tank i.e. slate stacked like a card house, will the fish take to it? Lastly, is there a type of catfish/algee eater that will be able to tolerate the same water conditions and personality of this tank? Any input would be helpful. Thanks

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
You have a perfect idea for African cichlids. The stacked slate suites them just fine. Also you can get synodontis catfish which are beautiful fish and come from the native African lakes so they also like the high 8.0-8.4pH as Africans do. Also Africans roam the whole tank top to bottom, I have a 75G African tank that my family enjoys. Mine are the Mbuna type Africans, such as Peacocks ect. Normally you have to stock Africans at about 25% over capacity to curb their temperament. This way not only one fish is chased or harassed. Africans are very beautiful and colorful fish. Just be sure to do some research as you can not mix one lake species with another lake species.

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; Allow me to open with a question. Which type of cichlid are you considering?
I have kept cichlids in tanks with sand and with gravel, it somewhat depends on the type. I generally use a quartz gravel substrate when possible (reference to your other thread) unless there is a particular reason to use sand. I find sand to have some issues in planted tanks, compacting when very deep and prone to lots of very fine suspended material in a tank if not pre-sifted. Unsifted sand will cloud a tank for a good while and can damage filter parts as this fine abrassive material cycles thru it. If using sand I dry sift it and discard the very fine material and then wash the stuff that will be used. When breeding kribensis I like to have a sand substrate as they like to dig a nest and the sand works well. I have also had them build a nest in gravel bottom tanks, so either has worked.
My recollection is that some cichlids, such as angels, do not pay any attention to the substrate at all while others will dig and move it around a lot. So, the type of cichlid you plan to keep will help determine which substrate to use.
Then there is always the matter of personal likes, I am one that likes a gravel substrate over sand as I usually have live rooted plants in my tanks. With some of the ciclids you will not be able to have rooted plants as they will up root them. Others that like sand will only use it.

Jun 11, 2011
Canada
I would definetely do a African cichlid tank. All of the rift lakes have beautiful fish species, and like what was said before, there are synodontis species that live in these lakes and will work out great in a african tank. Most of the synodontis species that are commonly(not very common in some places) available don't get too big. Africans would swim around all over the tank, filling any spaces with rock work will entice them to move around the tank. Africans are easy to care for, and if you do everything the way you should, they will reward you with breeding in the tank. Jus be sure to do research before making a purchase tho, there are some species that will fight with others and some that will cross breed with others.