Possible baby Appistogramma Cacatouides on the way

Oct 22, 2002
Weird,, I just got them saturday and there already starting a family. Very pretty little fish. I have a 55 gallon tank with the following fish:
3 angels(soon to be 6)
10 neon tetras
5 black neons
6 oto cats
5 black kuhlis
3 Siamese Algae Eaters
1 male betta(soon to be a female also)
2 fiddler crabs
4 ammano shrimp
and 1 pair of Ap. Cacatouides

This is a planted tank.
ITs funny I though the female would pick a clay pot to lay in. She picked an empty apple snail shell instead?! :p
Unfortunately I lloked this morning and all the eggs were gone. Any tips on what I should do the next time she lays. Will she lay eggs without the male fertilizing them? The reason I ask is the male did not help guard the nest...

Please help me here, this is my first Appistogramma spawning

Nick

Re: Possible baby Appistogramma Cacatouides on the

Looks promising, the male needs to be able to get alongside the female in the pot to fertilise successfully.
As they have only just been moved, she may have just layed to get rid of the eggs, which she probably then eat to reuse the protein, but they could have been eaten by your other fish, cat fish will eat the eggs at night when the parents cannot defend properly, the eggs may not have been fertilised by the male, if he is a juvenile or inexperienced, they sometimes never get the hang of it.
If you want to breed them successfully you will have to set up a breeding tank, to give them a bit of peace and quiet.8)

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Re: Possible baby Appistogramma Cacatouides on the

[glow=Black,strength,width]I agree with cloth. You should set them up a breeding tank to have some peace and to make sure the eggs aren't eaten by another fish. Sounds like your on your way though.

Ryan ;D[/glow]