Poorly Clown Loach... :-(

Nov 26, 2008
Hi guys, great forum!! I think i'll be using it a search ground from now on. But i have a problem that seems not to have been covered. I have a community tank and have a lovely variety of friendly fish, some live bearers (the kids like seeing the babies!!) I also have 2 clown loaches. One of them is totally fine! The other is hiding and not eating, its also only breathing out of one side, i think this is more than likely the problem! But i dont know what to do about it. I have checked my conditions my nitrites, nitrates, ammonia and PH are all fine, But something is wrong....

Any Advice gladly recieved..

Dan

bunker_1

Large Fish
Mar 24, 2008
Cincinnati
Welcome to the tank! I wish I had some advice on your fish. Do you have a tank you could put it in for a while. Just in case it is something that might affect the other fish.

Dino

Large Fish
Mar 3, 2007
90 degrees north
Tank size?
Are you aware they do better in groups?
Do you realise they get over a foot long?
What do you have as hiding places?
Temperature? They do best at 78-82 F.
Welcome to MFT!!

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
In addition to what Dino said, can you see anything that looks "out of place" from under the gill plate? Normally the first thing I think of if all other fish are fine, the water checks out, and the fish is using ONE gill is parasites. Gill Flukes are the only type I've seen first hand but there are others. Don't quote me on this but I think Anchor Worms can parasitize the gill tissue as well.

Either way, good place to start is with what Dino asked.

Chris

Nov 26, 2008
Thanks guys...

To answer. My tank is 3.5ft wide 1ft deep and water level is 16" high which i believe is 120l. I am also aware that they do best in groups, but i thought 2 was plenty for my tank and they have for a few months seemed very happy/

My temperature is currently 81 degrees so as to accommodate my guppies and there tendancy to pod!

Thanks for the advice... will check back later