poor lil loach

Oct 22, 2002
i'm not sure what the problem i have with this poor lil loach...he's in my 30 gal tank with three other loaches, I had two and introduced two(including the lil guy) and he's not doing that great..he was smaller to begin with, but even other one has acclimated well(clowning around & eating with the others )..should i keep him in there hoping he gets along better..or put him in my 10 gal(with two small severums and two panda cory's)until maybe he gets bigger?? any info would help..i'd hate to lose him

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
it could be that he's still adapting to the tank. that's what usually happens for me. everytime i add a new cory or fish it's always hiding for awhile. i then get freaked out thinking that something's wrong but eventually it gets used to it's new surroundings. =)

Without seeing him it sounds like you have got a loach with internal bacteria/parasite problems.
Try and get some anti-internal bacteria from your store,make sure it is safe to use with Clown loaches, after treating the aquarium try them with some bloodworm or similar.
This is quite a common problem as all clown loaches are wild caught they usually harbour parasites. 8)

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
Clown loaches are $8 here for a small one. No way am I paying that much. I used to get them for 2 bucks.

Anyway, I would move him to the 10, so you dont have to chance medicating your 30 gallon with the other loaches. Plus 10 gallon uses less meds.

Ever consider using the 10 as a quarenteen/med tank?

I got sick of treating 55 gallons and 30 gallons of water for new fish. Now they stay in the 10 for a week and 1/2 to two weeks. So far, I haven't had to treat any newbies. Just picked up four Ottoes. They can clean up the algae in the 10 , until they get moved to another tank. I love Ottos :-*

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
[glow=Black,strength,width]Yeah I had a little kuhli loach and when I bought him he had internal parasites and they didn't know it. I gave him back to them because I have never had anything like this and I ask them and they said he just had internal parasites and they took him back for me. I bought him back later and he got killed how sad huh? Oh well.

Mrfootball I would make the ten gallon a quarantine tank like Barb said. I just set one up about a month or so ago and have one little pleco in there. I had to get rid of some ick not to long ago and putting the smaller doses in really saves on money. HTH.

Ryan ;D[/glow]

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
cloth, do you know the season where they are more readily available, and possably being lower in price. The $8 used to be for bigger loaches, now it looks like the smaller ones are going for this around here.