Plumbing

Oct 22, 2002
I have a quick question regarding PVC, glue and time.

I am setting up a new tank and would like to use PVC pipe for plumbing.  To date on my other tanks I have used tubing and the metal clamps. But here i have to go through a wall, so i decided I want to use the PVC.  Can I just use regular PVC glue or do I need something special?  More important, should I let them soak or run water through them and for how long before adding to my tank?

Thanks in advance!  

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
If you attach PVC to PVC you have to use PVC cement ( I use the one that is blue) but you can also use the purple primer.  It sets permanently in only a few minutes.  But I would let it cure for at least 24hr before using it or letting water flow through it.  THat smell coming from the PVC glue is pretty nasty.
So you don't need anything special.  Once bond it's permanent and safe for fishes.

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
agree with everything dattack says. i have to, he's the person who i got all my information from. HAHA.

word of advice, that glue will stick in like 2 seconds so line up the pipes and just shove them really hard together. try not to twist and turn them. i did that on on part of my plumbing and it came out at the wrong angle. haha. so i had to make another trip out to buy new plumbing.

and glue it outside. that stuff has some pretty strong smell.

Oct 22, 2002
Thanks so much, this weekend i am doing allll my plumbing.  Now if I can only figure out what is up with my puffer I will be good to go!

Thanks again!