Pleco ich

Aug 10, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Hello everyone,
My plecostymus has small white dots on his tail and some on his head. I assumed that it is ich, so I put him in my hospital tank. I put in Quick Cure for ich, the temp. is 78 degrees. If anyone has any more suggestions, please reply.:)

Papillon

Large Fish
Jun 15, 2003
Montclair, NJ
Visit site
Ok here goes!! I am giving you the salt method as this seems to work rather well...

When treating ich with salt first remoove all like plants from the aquarium since the salk will harm or kill them... Before the treatment, perform a partial water change and ensure the parameters are optimal. Once your environment is perfect add salt at the rate of 1 teaspoon per gallon of water, every 12 hours. Use only non iodized salt that doesn't contain YPS ( Yellow prusiate soda) Keep the salt in the system for 14 days and remove it at the conclusion of the treatment by a substantial water change.

Depending on the temp in the aquarium the ich spots may actually worsen for one day.. In some case a few ich spots will suddenly multiply into " millions" as the skin responds to the salt doses. THis is normal... in 24 to 36 hours you will notice him getting better and in 4 to 5 days the crisis should be over...

The most effective anti ich medications other than salt are also the most damaging to the plants and the filterl Two of the most commonly recommended are formalin and copper these in high doses can actually burn the fish. Copper is devastating to the plants and also harms the Bio filter.

A medicated food available from Tetra Products contains malachite green eradicates the subepidermal form of ich but takes a lot longer, and besides some fish hate the food!!

Hope this helps you and others.!

Marie

Sandie

Medium Fish
Aug 1, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm just thinking outloud.

When one of your fish have Ich, wouldn't removing them from the tank and treating them in the other tank just defeat the purpose of treatment?

I recently had an outbreak of ich on my neons, I could have put them in another tank, but I treated them in the tank they were in. I wanted to ensure that I didn't get another outbreak in a couple weeks, and to me, that meant treating the water they were in. To kill any future parasites that may have fallen in the gravel, so that the other fish don't end up getting it.

Aug 10, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I thought that the diseases, and paracites, were always present, and that fish are more subseptible to getting diseases when they are streesed out, and there imune system is weakend. I allso thought that the treatments, just give time for the fishes imune system to fight back.