Please help, Internal Parasites

djm761

Large Fish
Mar 21, 2011
Please help, Internal Parasites ?, how to treat

Last Thursday I noticed my 2 chocolates and my Geophagus brasilensis where not eating, their poos are a bleached white, the chocolates where a nice looking cherry red in color but are now green and sometimes a deep brown. The Geophagus shows no change in color.

Sunday we visited two different LFS they both said the same thing Internal Parasites they each had a different brand of medication but the active ingredient was the same (praziquantel) , I treated the tank Sunday noon 09/04/2011, then on monday not much change, but today tuesday 09/06/2011 none of my fish are eating. Sevrums, Uarus none of them. One of the Uarus is now hanging at the top of the tank.

I don't know what to do next, the directions said one treatment for 3-5 days but the fish seem to be getting worse not better, should I do a water change or should I ride it out. PlEASE RESPOND,

Last edited:

djm761

Large Fish
Mar 21, 2011
Good news, just stuck some lettuce in the tank and every one ate except for the 2 chocolates and Geophagus but those three never ate lettuce even when they where feeling good.

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; Do not have comments about suspected parasites or the treatment. Do have suggestion on feeding. Try uncooked canned peas. Most of my fish take them very well and they are supposed to be good for constipation in fish. I open a can and get enough in a spoon for a feeding. I have the spoon and a paper towel in one hand. I squeeze the inside of the peas into the water and wipe the skin onto the paper. Sounds like your fish can eat the skins so that may not be a problem. the skins will be consumed in a few days at any rate. I either cook and eat the remaining peas myself or put them in a jar and keep them in the fridge for several additional fish feedings.

good luck with the parasite issue.