Platy Fry Galore!!

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
I have a Silver Wag Platy that is pregnant and I can see her fry (little pink/orange blobs) and their black beady eyes. Is this normal? She's very transparent, which is normal. If being able to see the fry is normal, then how long will it be till she gives birth? Oh, and she's gotten twice as fat as she was 2 days ago. Strange but true. She looks like she's going to burst!! I can't wait for her to have her babies!!!*SUPERSMIL*BOUNCINGS*BOUNCINGS

paperdog9

Large Fish
Dec 11, 2009
Your Imagination
I don't know it it is normal to see their fry, probably because I've only ever breeded red wags. How long has she been in the tank with a male? To me, it sounds like she will give birth very soon (within a week), it usually takes about 30 days until livebearers give birth to fry after being pregnant. Doing a water change might trigger her to give birth, so you cold give that a try. good luck!

webgeek

Small Fish
Feb 9, 2011
I've got two batches totaling 36 first (about 8 moths ago) and 10 more (a couple of days ago). Only 10 of original 36 could survive. All are pitch black with no spots. The 10 babies that i got recently are marble in color, two of them had black patches (may be coz of the mating between a marble-colored platy with the black platy)

Answering your question

1. Water change does help raise the temperate and hence trigger the baby birth.

2. I read everywhere that the other fishes eat the babies which i dont think is always the case. To be safe, i always move out the babies to another tank retaining the water from the larger tank (so that temperature and other water conditions is retained).

3. babies find hiding places. so the more hiding places in the tank the better

4. babies hide in the rocks. it will be difficult to identify the babies in the tank. so be careful when moving them out.

5. babies are small and swim fast. I use a transparent tumbler to safely remove them from the larger tank.

6. flakes are the only fish food we get here. i crush them to soft power and feed the babies

Good luck with ur platy and do keep us posted!

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Thanks. *sigh* Unfortunately, I lost some. And it's my dad's fault. I had to leave for 1 day. 1 simple day. And he successfully killed off 11 of my 18. So I have 7 left. I'm keeping one female and giving the other 6 to my friends. He says he "forgot" to feed them. Uh-huh. Sure, dad. Whatever you say. He was home alone, all day. He didn't do anything, except for play with my dog. And didn't even go into my room. I'm so heartbroken. I'll have my revenge soon. *laughs evilly*

webgeek

Small Fish
Feb 9, 2011
Dylandrewsdad is right Kiara1125. A minimum females with males who are atleast 6 - 9 months old are just enough to get female pleco be preg.

Also, Plecos grow pretty fast and try their best to survive. My 10 babies are already 10 days old and so far all of them survived. Crushed flakes is what i give them daily in the morning. I also give a 20% water change so that fresh water is in the tank. These 10 are kept separate away from the biggies.

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
webgeek, um, thanks? I don't exactly know where the plecos came in, but.. ok. First off, I have Platies, and secondly, if I were to get any algae eating aquatic animal it would be shrimp.< So cute!! But, yeah. My platy fry died cuz my dad killed them. My other female is pregnant and will explode soon. Now my only problem is my dog. He nipped at a stranger who came into our house. He was trying to protect my 2 step-nephews (less than 3 yrs old) and he nipped at a guy who wasn't supposed to be in our house. Now my step-mom wants to get rid of my dog. I'm trying to figure out how to train him not to nip at people, so if anyone has any tips PLEASE tell me!! I love my dog and I don't want to give him up... =(