Piranha people please help me...

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
OK my sis-in-law's BF has a Black Piranha and they know NOTHING about fish (they thought there dyed glass fish were neons... oi! LOL), I have been searching the net for a week or so now and all the info I find on them is highly contradictive, if someone could point me in the direction of a decent reliable caresheet for them or at least answer some questions for me? Here is the basics of what I want to know...

Adult size
Preferred min. tank size/shape for an adult, his is only about 6" now, but to let kim know what he's getting into. Also I have heard they need a long tank and I have heard they need a cubed tank, which is better?
Do they require the major current I have read about?
What water parimeters (PH & Temp)

And anything I am leaving out that he should know. Thanks in advance for any and all replies! :)

scubadude

Large Fish
Aug 20, 2005
carthage,MO.
Haven't seen much extensive info on black P's. I assume that the water parameters would be the same as the red belly as they live in the same river systems in the wild. I try to keep the PH in my at least 7.0 , if it gets below 6.5 the acid content becomes so great that their teeth will break down. On temp I keep my tank pretty cool to keep them from spawning 75 degrees, but they are most comfortable at around 78-82.
He is going to need a big tank. 100 gal at least. At full grown that thing is going to be a monster. They get big enough to take a mans hand off in two bites. No one has ever successfully kept one with another fish, even of it's own species. Even in the wild they are a solitary fish. Supposed to get between 1 and 1 1/2 feet long! All the info I have on black P's is from a national geographic special I saw a long time ago. Awesome fish....Watch your fingers...

Feb 8, 2006
Vancouver,British Columbia
Take a look for Piranha Fury

its a site dedicated to P's... But I would agree with the above, at least a minimum of 100g and they are SOLITARY you put anything in that tank with a black P and well consider it lunch....

The current you are asking about, I would suggest one, it just increases their metabolism and increases the chances of them growing bigger and faster

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Well My guess is that despite anything I tell him, this poor fish will live out his entire life in a 40gal tall with his Whisper 30 and nothing else other than some feeder goldies... I doubt he is willing to put a 100gal tank anywhere, nor would he spend that much money on a fish, but I will do my best.

I did check out PF, but I didn't join because I don't have any P's and don't plan on having any for at least a few years if ever. Just trying to get him to take care of this poor fish properly... maybe I can convince him to sell it to someone who can care for it? What can you do, he's a complete and utter idiot.

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
I will try, but I doubt he will care. It would help if I could print out a proper care sheet and bring it to him, but they are all so different and I don't know which one is closest to being correct. Anyone find a good one?

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Oh it's definitly better that the poor thing isn't with him, but he gave him to his brother, whom I have never met, so who know, could be better, could be worse. I tried.