pics of my 20g

stoddern

Large Fish
Jul 26, 2009
Vermont
heres my first attempt at pics of my tank sorry if they arn't that great.

here are some pics of my gourami
100_1489.jpg

100_1494.jpg

100_1495.jpg

heres some pics of the 2 differant kinds of fish I have no idea what they are I think they might be Barbs
100_1491.jpg

100_1492.jpg

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Nice tank!

Always wanted a 20 gallon long (although i would amke it an amazon tank with few plants an more leaf litter)

Is the reason you piled the gravel so high that you want the level to be low enough for the gourami? or did you want the plants' roots to have more room? either way be careful about using the gravel vac as if you disturb a thick pile of substrate like that too much, there could be ammonia spikes due to built up of waste.

I see you put flourite on the bottom and layered gravel ontop?
I think the gourami (snakeskin or gold?) might be not only lonely but also a bit cramped. havent kept them so take that with a grain of salt.

um, perhaps the giant danio (the blue one) is not a good choice as its really more of like a rainbow, needing more swimming space than a 20 gallon can offer. also those do best in groups as well. theyre very energetic as you can probably tell by looking at it.

Other other "barbs" are indeed phantom tetras. they'd like to be in groups of 5+

The tank looks good, and if you decide to keep the fish just the way they are right now, i think itll work out as long as you keep them happy water quality and food-wise.

stoddern

Large Fish
Jul 26, 2009
Vermont
yeah I put flourite under the gravel and will be taking some of the gravel out when I help my GF set up the 10g in the bedroom in a week the gourami had a blue dwarf gourami buddy but he died afew weeks ago aswell as a twin to the danio (I was gone and left my GF in charge).

we will be putting the phantom's in the 10g aswell as getting atleast 1 more maybe 2 and some center piece fish for that tank. I am gonna trim my wisteria and put some in the 1o aswell and maybe one of the anubia.

I am planning on getting a bristle nose pleco and maybe 2 red shrimp for the 20g as I have abit of an algae problem, I was also thinking of getting a pair of live breeders for it to breed but not sure. I do want to get some baby dwarf tears and some java moss for it aswell.

what would make a good friend for the gourami?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
another of its speices, but it may look like a big gourami and buying anothe one like it from a store will result in a big size difference and thatll be a problem. if this is a gold or snakeskin gourami, itll be too large for this tank anyway =/

But the tank is yours, so decide what best and what you like :) do what you do normallly and the fish will be allright.

Apr 14, 2008
To be honest, I'd get rid of the Danio & the gourami [to a nice petstore] & add in 3x More Phantoms, 3x More Zebra Danios, & 2x Powder Blue Dwarf Gouramis whom would be a better fit. a 20gL isn't enough space for a full grown Giant Danio.

Ps. Id on't mean by Bioload or size, I mean by activity level. I was watcing some gold ones in WM when I was there [trying not to pass out!] and I noticed how active they were...like....Zebra Danios on a huge level!

Last edited: