PH question!!!

bubble709

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I recently bought a ph test kit, and i tested my water in my fish tank, and it's very high, i think around 8 or so! (my ph test kit only have a scale of 6.4 to 7.6)I also checked my tap water and the ph is at about 7.5 or 7.6. So i figure something in my tank is driving up my ph level. All i have in my tank beside my fish are regular gravel, plastic plants, and a 5 pieces of rocks. So anyone got any idea what's wrong and how i can bring down my ph level? ???
I have been using the ph down drops from the test kit, but it doesn't seem to work very well, or my ph level is just too high. I don't know...i really have no idea, so if anyone can give some suggestion on how to bring my ph level down...thanks!!!  ;D

D

discusaquarium

it's probably the rocks. the 5 rocks you mentioned might alter the pH. what kind of rocks are they?

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
I suspect the reason for the difference in pH from the tap to the tank is CO[sub]2[/sub]. As MRB said, CO[sub]2[/sub] will lower your pH. After your water comes out of the tap, it begins to warm. As water gets warmer, it can hold less gas, so the CO[sub]2[/sub] has to outgass. This is what cause the jump in your pH.

What fish are you keeping? I've found most fish do just fine with a pH of 8.0 (mine).

Josh

R

ronrca

LOL, jwright! I am really amazed still at the complexity of "water"! It is a science in it self and one that I didnt really pay attention to until having fish! I know many people do not realize it either. It sure is interesting and I really enjoy the practical use that I can apply to fish!

But yet, sadly enough, there are so many myths and false information it is hard to really get the right knowledge from the right people. There are so many websites with good info and many with wrong info. I really admire this site and the input from many individuals that are regulars. Thanx to everyone for helping out and clearing up many, many myths and misconceptions!

R

ronrca

I would have to disagree with you cloth! I read it in an article on www.catfish.com unless you of course wrote the article.

bubble709

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
hmm...i have two platies and 5 guppies, and i know they can live with relatively high ph(close to 8).
Well...if it's necessary...how can i introduce co2 in my water? ???

p.s. i don't know what kind of rock i have, but i got them from the fish store where i bought all my fish stuff. So i think they can put into a fish tank right??  ???