Parrot Cichlids

kitten

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
There are dyed oscars, called blueberry or bubblegum. This is so sick.

There are also white skirt tetras that are dyed, colored widows. My friend had some when she first started out, then i told her why they looked so "pretty", she returned them to the fish store and told them off for not giving her this information.

I have seen a lot of species that have been subject to this, glass fish of any kind are the most "popular" dyed fish.
>:( :'(

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
[glow=Blue,strenght,width]Yeah I've seen those dyed widow's. Those little dyed glassfish are everywhere at wal-mart. I've seen people just starting our question about them and they don't tell them they're dyed fish. I think that's missleading. Never seen the dyed oscars though.

Ryan ;D
[/glow]

R

ronrca

Sad, very sad! I always ask before I buy if the fish are dyed. Personnaly, I think Red Parrots are ugly but that just my opinion. My lfs does not buy dyed fish or hybrids so Im pretty safe buying from him but its big stores like Petsmart/Walmart that I would be a little hesitant.

FishChick

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Wisconsin
The fish stores may not always know if the fish that they get are dyed.  I had to asks about the blood parots. When your lfs orders fish they look at a black and white typed list.  red oscar, blueberry oscar, tiger oscar, are all listed in a row.  

R

ronrca

You might be right FishChick! But I know that my lfs asks his supplier if the fish are dyed/hyrid. He is very much against it. He said that he has even switch supplies because of it.

kitten

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
The people that order the fish must know which fish are dyed and which aren't!!!! OMG!!! Why would they be ordering the fish if they didn't know anything about it?? C'mon, tiger oscar, albino oscar, BLUEBERRY OSCAR??? If they are familiar with the fish, and the d@mn well should be, then they're gonna know whats what.  ::)

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
[glow=Yellow,strength,width]The people at my lfs said that unless they ask they would never know if the fish was hybrid or died. They said it's kinda hard to find out from the people they order from as well. They say they can't get them to answer on 6 out of 7 days. But I think that most pet store owners are just trying to make it by and if these dyed fish are what people want then they will get them in. I wouldn't balme them. My lfs isn't like this however. I just think if you don't agree with hybrids or dyed fish then don't buy them. I agree with kitten on the blueberry oscar I knew by the name it was dyed. But some of them you can't really tell. Like the blood red parrot cichlids.

Ryan ;D
[/glow]