Parrot Cichlids

FishChick

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Wisconsin
Any one know if they are dyed? Like the blueberry, purple and green are all exacly what the color says. The blueberry looks like a saltwater fish, it's so bright blue.

Ovrclckd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ok a parrot cichlid is a dark green fish with a body shape similar to an oscar. They are rare and I've only seen one. The fish you described is the blood parrot, which is a hybrid fish, caused by cross breeding (commonly, not always) a severum and a red devil. Because they are cross bred, many blood parrots ain't right, most are sterile (thank god). Please don't buy this fish.

FishChick

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Wisconsin
I am not going to buy the fish.  Someone I know just wants to know if they are dyed or not.  Are they??????
The blood parrot looks like the color of a goldfish orange and then their is a blue, purple, and green ones.  Out here they are becoming very popular and I see them in every fish store.  No one seems to know if they are dyed or not.  

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
I have a blood parrot and it's the red color. I have never seen the purple of blue ones but they sound neat. Before you guts criticize me I didn't know it was a hybrid when I bought him. He is my favorite cichlid though!

Ryan ;D

kitten

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
[quote author=FishChick link=board=cichlid&num=986601553&start=0#0 date=04/06/01 at 16:59:13]
Any one know if they are dyed? Like the blueberry, purple and green are all exacly what the color says. The blueberry looks like a saltwater fish, it's so bright blue.
[/quote]

Ok..here's what i've found out...

There are dyed varieties of these fish, but they aren't "real" blood parrots. They are a cross between a male pink/albino convict and a female blood parrot. The young fish are chemically treated to strip the protective slime coat. They're then "painted" with dyes, and given another chemical bath to stimulate the slime coat to grow back. Due to this torturous dying process, the fish have stunted growth, and rarely reach more than 3-4 inches. They also have a decreased life span. And the dye fades within a couple of months anyway.
I tried to find some but the guys at my lfs told me that australia doesn't import blood parrots because they are too ugly. ;) (they're funny guys)

kitten

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
[quote author=ownedbykitten link=board=cichlid&num=986601553&start=0#4 date=04/07/01 at 07:43:44]
They are not dyed in my experience, ive never seen anyother color than red or orange tho.
[/quote]

The red ones are called purple blood parrots and the yellow/orange ones are blood parrots. It's messed up.  :-/

FishChick

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Wisconsin
Ok I got a hold of my fish guy.  Yep, they are dyed.  But they are a cross like Ownedbykitten said of a severum and a red devil.  He said the dye lasts for a few years or so, with the purple ones holding it the longest.  

kitten

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
The colour of the dye has nothing to do with which one will hold it the longest!!! It's because it shows the most red.

And there's many possible parent matches for the  blood parrots...no one knows for certain which were the first to crossbreed.

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
I just look up blood parrot on yahoo. I also get a lot from my lfs person. She is really knowledgable about every fish she gets in her store.

Ryan ;D