Parameters Very High! What to do?

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
like a sturdy dish brush and some rubber gloves....It is a dirty job but will help stabilize your tank, because you get dead/dying sponges clams etc off of there.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
What does the LR smell like?

If it smells like the beach it's cured, if it isn't cured it'll smell like a bunch of rotting seafood.

If the former, and if the whole tank smells like a 'clean' seaside I would advise leaving it alone for two weeks, and trying another ammonia test. However my feeling is that while you might have bought cured rock, you are now getting dieoff, and are effectively recuring it.

Where did you get the LR from . How long was it out of the water? Is debris falling off it. Measure your salinity 5 times, properly, after cleaning the hydrometer and tell us the average.

Zman16

Large Fish
Aug 1, 2005
Pennsylvannia
wayne said:
What does the LR smell like?

If it smells like the beach it's cured, if it isn't cured it'll smell like a bunch of rotting seafood.

If the former, and if the whole tank smells like a 'clean' seaside I would advise leaving it alone for two weeks, and trying another ammonia test. However my feeling is that while you might have bought cured rock, you are now getting dieoff, and are effectively recuring it.

Where did you get the LR from . How long was it out of the water? Is debris falling off it. Measure your salinity 5 times, properly, after cleaning the hydrometer and tell us the average.
For your first question, to tell you the truth I don't know what it smells like. I have a horrible sence of smell and my brother won't tell me what it does smell like. I have do wait until one of my parents get home to see.

I got the LR off ebay. I know that sounds weird but it was for an excellent price (about 4 bucks a pound).

It must of been out of water for about 3-4 days. But it was rapped in wet newspaper, and when I got it, it was still wet.

There is one peice thats falling off, but besides that not really any debris falling off.

The average salinity measurement is: 1.023

Also theres some sort of reddish, algea like stuff, growing on the LR. Is this bad or good?

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
yea...your rock is re-curing, there is no such thing as cured rock that has been shipped for 3-4 days...even if shipped wet there will be large amounts of die off, unless it was shipped entirely submersed in water....which would be hugely expensive and not practical.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Yes, because coralline won't grow in horrible conditions, it's quite fussy.

I don't know what's going on with your ammonia tests now. If the tank doesn't smell bad, and some stuff is starting to grow I would be tempted to aquascape the tank and leave it alone with a couple of weeks except I'd likely do a water change after a week. Let the thing stabilise, settle down a bit. If you want to , in a week or so's time, if you see any small crustaceans hopping around, add a couple of small blue leg hermits, or something with a low bioload like a cleaner shrimp. If you feel nervous, don't add anything - wait till you're confident you can see living things.

You have never mentioned what you're going to do re: water changes, and I think, as I don't see you with a skimmer, that is something for you to think about.

Zman16

Large Fish
Aug 1, 2005
Pennsylvannia
I do, do water changes weekly. I'll test my water in a bit. Today, I cleaned the LR witha dish brush, like you said. Sadly the LR still smells bad, but I hope it goes away after a water change or so.

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Like little fleas or bugs? If so those are amphipods and copepods and are very good!
Here is a link all about hitchhikers: Scoll down to the bottom of the page and it shows a picture of the pods. Is that what you have?

http://www.reefs.org/hhfaq/pages/main_pages/faq_rock1.htm

Also - your question about hard or soft algea - when you touch it lightly with your finger does it come off, rub off, slime off...can you pick it up? If so it's probably cyano.

I am skepticle that you might be growing coralline algea (which is good) already. I've had my tank set up for basically the same amount of time as you and I don't have any thats new growth (some came on my live rock) What kind of lighting are you using? Can it really show up that fast? I don't really know. I was under the impression that it took a while to show up.

Do a search on google or this site for cyanobacteria and you will find plenty of pictures - that might help you determine what you have.

Good luck, keep us posted!

Last edited:

Zman16

Large Fish
Aug 1, 2005
Pennsylvannia
Thats definetly what kind of organisms I have! About the algea it does come off when you touch it lightly, so I guess its cyano. I'm using flouresent lighting, and this stuff grows kinda fast. Is that cyano stuff bad?

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Yes - Reef keepers don't want it. It spreads rapidly and can cover corals and smother them to death. Also it isn't that attractive.
Cyano is generally caused by poor water flow or excess nutrients in the water.........since your live rock seems to be cycling still, that could be part of the nutrient problem. And also if I am not mistaken - aren't you using tap water? That can contribute to it as well.
You should consider using R/O water (Reverse Osmosis) - you can buy it in the grocery store or WalMart - just make sure it says Reverse Osmosis on the label and doesn't contain any extra 'additives'.
What are you using for water flow? Do you have powerheads?

Zman16

Large Fish
Aug 1, 2005
Pennsylvannia
I'm not using tap water, but I'm not using RO water. I am using filtered water, but I think I'll try RO water. For my water movement I'm using a filter for a to gallon, without the filter media. I'll see if I could get a power head.

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I think you should get at least one powerhead definitely. On my 10, I have 2 powerheads and a HOB rated for a 10gal.
You for sure need more water flow. Water flowing through the live rock is what provides your filtration. I don't think one 10gal HOB is going to cut it and that is most likely where your cyano problem is coming from (as well as maybe some of your other readings).

Is it filtered tap water? Could still have phosphates/nitrates in it. R/O would be the best way to go IMO.

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441776828&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302030138&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023693&bmUID=1142131348424&itemNo=0&In=Fish&N=2030138&Ne=2

If you print that out and take to petsmart they will price match. Much cheaper then in-the-store prices. I believe I have the 1st 2 that are listed. The 101 and 201. Of course you can get what ever kind you would like, but that might get you started in the right direction. You should get a powerhead - and soon :D Otherwise you don't have much of a filter going on.

Zman16

Large Fish
Aug 1, 2005
Pennsylvannia
I'm getting the powerhead today. But I did a water change yesterday, and I got a lot better results than normal with the parameters. Here they are:

Amonia - 0.25

Nitrite - 4

Nitrate - 20

ph - 7.8

I'm hoping the power head will raise the ph and drop the nitrite.