Oscar problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 26, 2006
enterprisesteaks.com
My one Oscar is spending alot of time by the heater. My tank is 76-80 and my other Oscar and other fish are fine. Something wrong with him, or is he just cold and looking for alittle warmth for a day?

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Knowing your setup my first guess would be she is being picked on. But if you are sure this isn't the case I would say she has probably just staked the spot out as her own. As long as she is eating, isn't breathing hard, and all in all looks good i wouldn't worry to much about it.

Mar 26, 2006
enterprisesteaks.com
Intravenous said:
On other forums (dedicated to oscars) that I've read it says each oscar should have a minimum of 55 gallons...you have two oscars and other fish so you should be looking at over 110 gallons at least or else territory issues might cause problems. What size tank is it and what are the other fish?
You are very right:D
However, I have two baby Oscars. I have a ten gallon for now. When they start growing I am puting the two in a 100 gallon. Trust me, i know what I am doing. I have had Oscars my whole life, its just this is a first with the heater. She is not being picked on, and i am starting to think maybe she just likes it there.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Sorry Jaws I should have mentioned for other's sake that I also know you plan on going with a nice size tank for these guys soon!

My bad man. Not everyone can have the chance to read every single thread out there.

BTW I don't remember if it was asked...what are you getting this tank for?? Just like to hear what the big ones cost around the country at dif stores...if you don't mind?

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
I've often heard that fish hanging out by the heater can be a sign that something's wrong even when no other outward signs are visable. Sounds like that one may have just been sick to begin with. Like humans, fish die from unknown things sometimes too.

I'd keep an extra eye on the rest of the fish for a while just to make sure that noone else is sick. Hopefully it was just a fluke.

Status
Not open for further replies.