Orange Chromide?

One in a 20 gallon would be fine. You could keep some bublebee gobies, knight gobies and/or a figure 8 puffer with it too.
You could even try a single pair. They don't get more than 4" total length.

Brackish really isn't hard either. Salinity doesn't even need to be 100% stable 24/7, 365 a year, just within a certain range for long-term keeping. Once you get your measurements figured out it's a breeze, no different than keeping any other tank that would need minimal extra care, like RO water for a soft water goal or alkaline additives/buffers for a hard water goal.

I had 4 in a 40 gallon tank. A pair formed and forced me to remove the other two males. They were kept with bumblebee gobies, knight gobies, glassfish (mistake as the common ones aren't really brackish fish), mummichogs and a F8. They did well. The chromides spawned regularly and only chased anyone when they intruded too closely on their eggs/brood, but there wasn't much emphasis on their efforts. Even then a quick chase didn't really seem to threaten their tankmates cause the fry were always eaten and the killifish soon learned to be ready and waiting for fry as soon as they noticed any courtship behavior between the pair. The puffer is trial and error. Some F8's are docile enough to be kept with other puffers and fish. Some aren't. I got lucky.

I think they're worth a try. They're a somewhat forgotten fish, dropped at the thought of having to "deal with brackish". They're pretty, only mildly aggressive - just enough to give you that exotic cichlid flavor, and pretty easy to spawn. Fun to watch, always a bonus! :D

FreddyJ

Large Fish
May 5, 2006
I agree with the last two posters: Brackish isn't difficult, unless maybe you are allergic to salt. ;) And you can find some very cool and interesting fish to thrive in brackish water. Then, on top of all that, you get to explain to all of your friends that it is, in fact, a "brackish aquarium" and educate them on this sometimes over-looked part of fishkeeping.

Good luck! Orange chromides are very cool lookin'!