Oranda with Fin Rot HELP *SICK*

Dec 21, 2009
Hi

Hoping someone can help

I have a Oranda Goldfish who now has terrible fin rot unfortunatly I didnt notice until 2 days ago but today I bought some fin rot treatment, but the packaging does not tell me how often I need to put this in the water, I have put in the correct dosage today and obviously they are at the surface gasping for air, I have a 30L Biorb Tank 7 fish have died, dont know why but did the water changes etc and everything seems to be ok except for my big fish who is in a terrible state and to also mention the air stone has been replaced and is working great, will this get better or is she in a advanced state and also how much do I use of this stuff

Thanks

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
1. one goldfish needs a minimum of 15-20 gallons of aquarium space. there after if you want to add more goldfish its +10 gallons for every other one. Overcrouding goldfish often if not always leads to the classic fin rot. goldfish like their oxygen AND space. it doesnt matter how many air pumps you can run on that small tank, they will never have enough oxygen because they need more space!
2. you neeed to read up on cycling asap. learn about the nitrogen cycle first, then start working with your fish. I suggest you rehome them fast or move to a huge tank/pond.

Dec 21, 2009
Hi

I had those fish for months tested the water every week and did a water change every month as that what the biorb site tells u to do everything has been fine I forgot to mention at my last water change I used a water conditioner, next day 7 fish died, oranda has now fin rot and remaining one fish is absolutly fine, wont be getting another tank till after new year, but I still have no idea how to use this interpet fin rot treatment, it tells u nothing on how many treatments u use, I dont want to use it every day incase it suffocates them

So any help with that would be great

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
ok, test the water right now with w/e you use to test and tell us your readings for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.
You should always be treating the tap water you use for water changes with a water dechlorinator. chlorine and chloramines are deadly to fish which is why you will see fish die if you use straight up tap water.

That is still a very small tank for goldfish. Fin rot is unavoidable in a small tank like that if you keep any amount of goldfish in it. sooner or later they were going to develop it.
if you used a copper based med it would likely harm an already weak goldfish. I actually prefer not using any med and just adding half a teaspoon of salt per gallon to your tank, and raising the temp to 75F. goldfish can handle it.
a 7 gal tank can handle one betta safetly and a few snails, and thats only after you properly cycle it.

Last edited: