ok soo... planaria, ADFS and Snails

Apr 10, 2005
Vancouver Island BC Canada
so with this combination, in my 10 gallong, 7.2 ph, and 0 ammonia or nitrites....

the snails are acting weird (may have just laid eggs) and the frogs are new... what do I feed the tank?
what should I do to rid the tank of planaria? (I'm nervous about giving it a super duper cleaning, meanwhile trying to experiment on what types of foods to feed the frogs and snails! I bought a veggie clip and a turkey baster, so *SHRUG* help :)

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
In all honesty the only way to get rid of the planeria is for you to up the quality of your water, this means some extra big water changes when you do them, or maybe a couple of extra ones paying special attention to getting all gunk out of the gravel. You probably need to feed less than you had been until you get the planeria under control...and definitely be sure not to leave any food left in the tank to get ground into the gravel etc, esp when you're feeding bloodworms or other foods besides flake or algae tablets.

I dont have any experience with ADF's but I hear they love bloodworms and black worms. My apple snails love algae tablets or pretty much anything I put in the tank...they seem to like bloodworms too. My snails will eat some cucumber...but I've never had ADF's so I dont know if they'll eat veggies.

May 9, 2005
West Haven, CT
frogs like bloodworms, I'd suggest getting those blood worm frozen cubes, shave a little so each frog gets a few worms every other day, make sure you thaw it in tank water in a cup before feeding. Mine also eat frozen brine shrimp and dried tubifex worms , which I rehydrate if possible with soaking in water. They also try to eat algae waffers, I think they just like jumping in the pile of fish that are eating those.

I think the do better with food that sinks and remains at the bottom (tubifex and brine shrimp float a lot) like the blood worms, so I use those the most. They can't see well at all, so make sure you put it right in front of their head and make sure they see it. They should get used to the baster and will swim up to it. If the snail isn't going to eat it before the frogs find it, you can dump it in the tank without the baster, as an option.