Not enough lighting for plants to grow. I need HELP!

Flbrylas

Small Fish
Mar 31, 2012
At the moment I have a 29-gallon fish tank and I am very interested in getting live plants. My problem is that I do not have enough lighting to keep any live plants living. On top of that my fish tank is a 29 tall not long, so light does not reach the bottom as much as if it were a long fish tank. At the moment 1 have a Aqueon 24" full spectrum daylight fluorescent lamp t8 with 17 watts. I have done much research online to figure out how much lighting I would need a minimum which is 29 (1 watt per gallon. I have have gone online and the max they offer for a 24" fluorescent light is 24 watts. Now my question is am I out of hope or do I have any other options beside spending around 150 for a whole new lighting system?

Feb 27, 2009
The bulbs I use are using the same container as the original hood. The glass or plexiglass shielding on the orignal hood are still used. I do a 'retro-fit' in the same hood.

Flbrylas

Small Fish
Mar 31, 2012
Thanks for the help everyone.

I tried doing some research on the cfl and I didn't have much luck. Plus I am a bit clumsy so chances are I will get them a bit wet and their goes the bulb.

I found online a dual light fixture made by Coralife for about $45. Includes one 6,700K and one Colormax lamp.

Is it worth it or not?

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Thanks for the help everyone.

I tried doing some research on the cfl and I didn't have much luck. Plus I am a bit clumsy so chances are I will get them a bit wet and their goes the bulb.I found online a dual light fixture made by Coralife for about $45. Includes one 6,700K and one Colormax lamp.

Is it worth it or not?
Hello; The moisture issue may not be a problem if you have a modern hood. Many of the newer hoods have glass or plastic barriers that will keep the moisture that evaporates from the tank or is splashed out by filters or fish from reaching the bulbs. If the hood is made to take a regular incadescent bulb there will likely be a CFL bulb that will fit. I eventually found CFL's in a smaller size that simply screwed into the sockets of an older hood.
The problem with moisture was with a very old stainless steel hood without any moisture barrier at all. I simply placed a sheet of clear glass between the water of the tank and the light fixture. This kept the spray from the bubblers, splashing fish and evaporation away from the CFL's.
I have no idea about the value of the corallife lamp.