Normal Mollie behavior?

Sinsarity

Medium Fish
Jul 12, 2003
Visit site
A couple of my mollies seem to "swim in place" They just sort of stay in one spot amd wiggle like they are swimming against a strong current and can't get anywhere. Is this normal?
Also, one of them is almost hunchbacked. Like, they are bent along the spine. What is this?
One more, my pregnant mollie finally had her fry, I have found one so far and don't know if she had the rest and they were eaten (decided not to seperate her thistime) or if she just isn't done. How lond are they in "labor" usually?
THANKS!!

valdok

Large Fish
Jul 1, 2003
Chicago, Illinois
val.textdrive.com
My platies do that, especially the littler ones, the fry. The spine deformity is probably most likely a result of either a birth defect, or something happened to it as a fry. It takes my platy a few days to give birth to all of her fry, and she's still not done yet, her gravid spot is still pretty black and I can see things swimming. How long since you first saw the first fry?

Sinsarity

Medium Fish
Jul 12, 2003
Visit site
I saw the first one about 20 min. ago. I was checking under my caves and a little black mollies popped out!!:D
I was so surprised since I begining to think she was just fat. :) So it could take a couple of days? Thanks!!

dana307

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2003
Massachusetts
two days is quite normal I believe. be patient. i will scoop fry out twice a day and then still can't catch them all. read up on bent spine syndrome. my mollies often just sit around in one place. quite normal.

Aug 13, 2003
indiana
Visit site
i dont know about days maybe it is the differance in water but my mollies birth rather quickly. and since i usualy have several females birth every day i dont worry if i get them all at once but i do remove them from the breeder tank daily and put them in a growout tank. the ones that i dont catch have rock and plants to hide in if needed but my adults dont seem to interested in them for a meal but i do keep them well fed on flake and frozen foods.