Non aquatic pets?

Mar 13, 2013
Georgia
Aw you have to get a photo! A puggle sounds interesting! Lol. We have a boxer and a princess. The princess is a pound puppy so we have no clue what she is... Hint... Princess. Lol. Spoiled rotten brats, that's what they really are! Haha

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
I got a yellow lab and 2 cats. I'll post pics later. and I'm sorry to say fish dad but I cat stand puggles lol. 1 I don't understand how yesterdays mutt became todays must have designer dog and 2 my neighbor spent 700 for his and it will not shut up. it constantly barks. Its enough to drive me to the point of dreaming about shooting it. obviously I won't but I've thought about it lol. I'll stick to my pure breed hunting dogs. just hope ur puggle don't bark u into insanity lol :p

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
I got a yellow lab and 2 cats. I'll post pics later. and I'm sorry to say fish dad but I cat stand puggles lol. 1 I don't understand how yesterdays mutt became todays must have designer dog and 2 my neighbor spent 700 for his and it will not shut up. it constantly barks. Its enough to drive me to the point of dreaming about shooting it. obviously I won't but I've thought about it lol. I'll stick to my pure breed hunting dogs. just hope ur puggle don't bark u into insanity lol :p
Well my wife is home all day with three boys, so the last thing she needs is a giant dog to deal with. Our last dog was a pure bred boxer... was not a good experience. We gave him to some friends who already had three other dogs and a huge piece of land. So this time we wanted something small and playfull. Settled on a puggle. So far he's pretty quiet. Barks a little in his crate at night, but not nearly as much as our boxer. Also... and this is the biggist issue for me... he is doing really, really well with pottie training. My wife is more of a pure bred type of dog person so she wasn't all that comfy with a "designer mutt" either, but from a good breeder you can get a good dog, with all the undesirable traits bred out.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Good Luck FD. I know nothing about puggles, but in a lifetime of experience I have found smaller dogs harder to potty train, more nippy, and easier to trip over. Someplace I read that Cocker Spaniels are the origin of most dog bites - that may be out dated info because I don't believe Cockers are as popular as they once were. Every one has there experiences with different types of dogs. I brought a husky wolf pup home and Grandpa had a fit - we had two tots and two slightly older kids - eventually he became friends with the entire neighbor hood. He was definitely unlike any dog we have ever owned and the memories and stories about Spike linger on. (The picture is 45 yrs. old)

Spike017.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2013
Georgia
Oh my goodness fishdad I just want to love it and hold it and squeeze it! Lol. Sorry to hear about the bad boxer experience. Every dog is different though. My boxer is the best dog I have ever had, minus the separation anxiety, which has gotten better with age. I remember the first time we left her home alone, when we first pulled up we thought someone broke into the house!

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
i think there is a limmit for how small a dog should be. if i can accidentally sit on it cause i did not see it was there, thats to small lol. but i do alot of hunting and take emma with me dove, duck, and squirrel hunting with me. a bigger dog is more of what i personally need. i am not trying to bad mouth all little dogs or dicourage anyone from getting one. i'm just saying for me personally i prefer a medium size breed like a lab or german shorthair, or a golden retriever. fits my personality and my lifestyle more. and i'm sorry. there is no better chick magnet then the sad eyes of a lab puppy lol.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Oh my goodness fishdad I just want to love it and hold it and squeeze it! Lol. Sorry to hear about the bad boxer experience. Every dog is different though. My boxer is the best dog I have ever had, minus the separation anxiety, which has gotten better with age. I remember the first time we left her home alone, when we first pulled up we thought someone broke into the house!
We were really surpised, every one who has a boxer loves em. He had bad separation anxiety too.

Thyra those are the pug eyes!

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
The picture I posted of our big husky wolf brought back memories because that kid is now 45 yrs. old. So I decided to talk to the kids about Spike and what they remembered and write a "Memory of Spike". I haven't talked to all of them as yet, but it is clear that "mellow" is the word, they don't remember him barking, he was just always with them. At 4-h meetings he just sat calmly and seemed to know when the cookies got passed, he would be included. He was always with all the kids in the neighborhood, met the school bus and walked them home. He brought his lady friend's home - in fact bred one of them in our kitchen. He bred the neighbor's pedigreed Great Dane - after they drove 300 miles to a pedigreed stud that she wasn't interest in. The pups were absolute clowns (mix a huskey with a brindled Great Dane) but everyone loved them. I still have more to write , but thanks for bringing back the memories.