Nitrates/fish selection help

Nov 19, 2008
So I have a 12 gallon tank with 18 pounds of LR, 10 pounds of sand, 2 hermit crabs, 2 turbo snails, 2 nassarius snails, 2 astrea snails, an emerald crab and a peppermint shrimp. I had issues with both aptasia and bubble algae but both are under control now, and my fuge is filled with cheato, green and growing.

Despite this, my nitrates are being difficult. I do a 2 gallon change each week, immediately after the change they drop down to 0, but within 2 days they are back up to the 5/10 range, though they have not gone above this in a month or so. Is this normal or should I look at adding more Live Rock or larger water changes?

I've got no fish at the moment, but I'd like to add a Gramma and a Ocellaris/False Perc to the tank, I'd love a pair of Ocellaris but I think the 12g would be too cramped. I'm thinking of adding the Gramma first to make sure the Ocellaris doesn't get too territorial at first, but I'm not sure if it would be wiser to put them in at the same time?

Any feedback is appreicated.

Last edited:

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I think it took my tank 4 or 5 months before the nitrates dropped below 20ppm. It's basically a process of waiting for the rock to mature. Be patient, and you will see a drop in nitrates.

I'm not very good on nano stocking advice :) I know some people keep a pair of ocellaris in a 12g tank and it works for them.

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
I kept a pair of false percs in my 12 gal Aquapod without a problem. They are doing well almost a year later in my 90 now. Just make sure you get juveniles so they can pair up naturally. The Gramma in my experience will be more territorial then the clown. I know people keep Gramma's in small tanks but I think they are better suited to bigger reef tanks. Nitrates of 5-10 aren't that big of a problem as your tank matures it will go down like Lotus said.