Newbie Questions

madpad

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Just wondering if I get a Water Python for a 55 gal
Tank when I do water changes is it safe to just put the tap water back in the tank? Or do you guys prepare some tap water the night before and use that to do water changes?

The first thing you need to do is find out what is put in to your water supply to make it fit to drink.
Chlorine is common and Chloramine is fast becoming popular with water authorities.
Always use the appropiate De-Chlorinator to lock up the nasties before introducing new water to the aquarium.
Chlorine and Chloramine are both poisonous to your filter and will kill some species of fish. 8)

R

ronrca

I used to let my water sit over night sometimes 2 nights but it got to be a pain. I asked my lfs what he does. I couldnt imagine him letting his water sit for 24hours. All he uses is Seachem Water Conditioner. Now, no more letting water sit for 24 hours. When I do a water change I make sure that the temp. is very close to the tank temp., then I treat the water with the conditioner and fill the tank.

R

ronrca

I dont think that I would just fill the tank with straight tap water. First fill a pail, condition it, and then put it in the tank.

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
for me, i basically use it to drain the water. the reason is that the faucets in my house are all those 'fancy' kinds. so the only way it to connect it to the outside hose. but that water is VERY VERY cold. so that's why i just use it to drain.

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
[glow=Black,strength,width]After I do a water change I use AquaSafe made by Tetra and i just fill the bucket up and add the conditioner wait for about 5 minutes and add it. My fish have lived this long so I guess I'm doing this right.

Ryan ;D[/glow]

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
Well, I have read a lot of what people do with pythons. I personally, suck out the water, and replace it first into a bucket, treat it, then put the water in.

I have read where people drop dechlornators into the tank as they put the tap water into it. This doesn't make sense to me. Your fish are still going to get the chlorine this way.

If the product says 3 drops per gallon, how can you accuratly get the chlorine out if it is despersed among the water, instead of all the chlorine being in a bucket in one place.Doesn't seam like it would work this way.

Anyway, I love mine, I have tanks upstairs and downstairs as well, so no more buckets to spill or carry.

sharkbait

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Looks like I'm the only one that uses the Python to fill the tank.:eek: I've been using my Python for three years and have always done this with no negative effects on my tanks.  In my 150 I change approx. 45-50 gallons weekly.  When it's time to fill, I'll put in one teaspoon of Amquel in the water at regular intervals, five times.  That's following the recommended dose of 1 teaspoon/gal.  I make sure the water is the same or a tad cooler than the existing tank water. JMHO

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
up until 2 years ago , i didn't treat mine either. I never had ill effects that i could tell right away.

It is more of a piece of mind for me to do it in the bucket. If you are confortable the way you do it then I cant say a thing. 8)

R

ronrca

I agree with RubyBarb! I first drain water from the tank, fill 5G pails with new water, treat it, and then fill the tank. I dont what to take a chance by putting chlorine in my tank. Not only can it harm the fish, but also bacteria. I'd rather play it safe than sorry.

sharkbait

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
;D  It's always this way when people ask questions about their Pythons.  Some fill their water straight from their tap adding Amquel or something similar with no problems and then there are others that are dead set against it.  It's basically a personal preference type of thing. There really is no right or wrong answer.  I do it without a problem and will keep doing it my way  simply 'cause I'm lazy and don't want to carry and lift and dump a five gallon bucket 10 times.;D  That's why I purchased the Python in the first place......to make my life easier.

R

ronrca

True and not True! Agreed and dont Agree ::)!! I just dont feel comfortable with having chlorine in my tank the could affect the fish. How do I know how much chlorine is in my water! Depending on the fish you have, some are very touchy about even a little chlorine. How do I know how much chlorine the fish can take! How do I know how much I stressing out my fish. But I guess my personal opinion. I guess I dont like cigerate smoke either!

R

ronrca

Aging water is a great idea if you can do it! But there are two factors, chlorine and chlorime. Chlorine is go in 24+ hours. Chlorime takes longer (3+ days). If you have a small tank, you can have a 5G pail standing but when you are doing 20G+ water changes where are you going to store the water. I dont have room in my house (others do). Of course the best would be to have a barrel. So because I do not have the room to store water, I use the declor's. It works!

Run your water through a container of sphagnum moss peat, this will naturally soften your water.
We looked into importing some from Canada last year, they call it blonde peat.
It was really cheap even with transport costs.
If you can find your self a container you can pressurise fill this and have your return from the filter pass through this. 8)