newbie help

Mar 14, 2005
I have had freshwater fish my entire life and really want to switch to a saltwater tank. I was recommended by a friend to get a nano cube because it is one of the best. I was wondering if you guys had some suggestions. I am not looking for a big 50 gallon tank but i would like something aroudn 20-30 gallons are the nano cubes the best for beginners and what are the chances the built in pumps go and I loose all my marine life? What backup pump would you recommend me get in case that happens?

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
the nano cubes aren't bad little tanks...but they are little. its too bad you do not want to go with something bigger as you will find it to be much easier, but a small tank is doable. if you want coral, etc you will need more pumps than just the one built in to a nano cube otherwise you should be ok, though for algae growth reduction a powerhead wouldn't hurt. my biggest suggestion is to read the posts in this forum about setting up a nano and also read a couple good books (Paletta's "New Marine Aquarium" is an excellent starting point) lest you get too deeply involved in this (financially and psychologically) and never have success

both of these posts are worth reading:

http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22445

http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25240

Mar 14, 2005
well the reason why i dont want a big tank is because I just graduated college, still live in an apartment and don't want a big tank to have to move when I purchase a house. This tank will get my feet wet and then when I get a house I will go all out and get a nice big tank. What are good fish for a nano reef tank? I was told nano reefs dont need water change outs.

Mar 14, 2005
Well I went out yesterday and bought a 24g nano cube I asked the store about the reefs and they thought the person who told me that reefs dont need water changes was crazy. Now I have my tank set up with that sand with live bacteria. My next question is the store said I could add LR a few days after my tank is setup, but I read the posts on using dropping ammonia in the tank to increase the levels and build up the bacteria. Do I do this after I add the LR or before?

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
there really isn't any reason to add ammonia either way; if the rock is cured it will not cycle and if the rock is uncured the die off will start the cycle

no reason to wait to add live rock as long as you are sure your salinity and temp are stable

i think now is a good time to invest in a book to give you something to do while you wait patiently for the tank to stabilize

Mar 14, 2005
thanks, The temp is holding steady and salinity is halfway between 1.023 and 1.024. The only thing that worries me is that my ph is really high but from what I have read the fish adapt to the ph level (I don't have any fish yet) and the people at the local fish store said not to worry about the ph right now.

Last edited:

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Because it will soon start to slide down. 8.4 is not especially high, it's better than 8.

I wouldn't sweat too much about doing weekly 5 or 10 gallon water changes in that tank. It's probably the easiest way to keep it healthy.