It's really difficult to take pics of the fry when they're REALLY young xD
Here are some of my swordtails pics just for the heck of it:

2 days old:

At 1.5 weeks:

At approximately 1 month:

At approximately 1.5 months:

At 3 months:

Same guy at 3.5 months:

Sorry to spam the thread with pics, I just thought these would be interesting :)

Last edited:

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
I don't have any good ones, but these are the ones I have. It's funny 'cuz from the first day I found him in the 46gal, Stanley, my sunset coral dwarf baby, has been BRIGHT orange, just like his parents. It's really hard to get a decent pic of Ninja, my marigold variatus baby, 'cuz he doesn't have his color yet. He's still tannish clear. They are about almost a month old, though. :)
Here's Stanley, he's about 3/4" long now:

(The first one was taken with my dad's nice Sanyo digital camera that I can't figure out how to turn the flash off on...the second was taken on my cell phone...sorry for the crappy quality on both...you'd think the one from my dad's camera would be better than that since it's 8MP!)

fiddlybits

Medium Fish
Jan 15, 2010
BC, Canada
A few tips for taking photos-- never aim staight-on at the glass or the flash will bounce back at you. Take pix on an angle, and pre-focus if possible. It also helps to not have anything beside the tank that can be reflected on the glass. Dimming the lights around the outside of the tank may help the camera to focus on what's inside it. If the camera has anti-shake, use it. If you are closer than 18 inches, use the close-up setting. Take a bunch of pix and choose the best ones, rather than trying for the best shot each time. Aim at the place where the fish will probably go and hold the camera steady, don't try to 'follow' the fish. Bribery is ok, feed them and snap away. Have fun!

Last edited:

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
guess what?
dead. he's dead.
well, long story:
i thought he was dead, then I saw him swimming on the bottom. He couldn't get off. this went on all day, then i came home that night and he was gone!

why are my fry's dying?? Bad breeding? Or is it me...?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
yeh sometimes fry just die randomly like that (assuming your water quality was perfect, temp was perfect and you gave him a quality diet frequently enough...)

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
A few tips for taking photos-- never aim staight-on at the glass or the flash will bounce back at you. Take pix on an angle, and pre-focus if possible. It also helps to not have anything beside the tank that can be reflected on the glass. Dimming the lights around the outside of the tank may help the camera to focus on what's inside it. If the camera has anti-shake, use it. If you are closer than 18 inches, use the close-up setting. Take a bunch of pix and choose the best ones, rather than trying for the best shot each time. Aim at the place where the fish will probably go and hold the camera steady, don't try to 'follow' the fish. Bribery is ok, feed them and snap away. Have fun!

I do most of that (except the anti-shake setting thing). The only somewhat decent pics I've ever gotten of my fish was with my friend's $1K Nikon D5000. When I try taking at an angle with my dad's camera, the flash bounces off all funny. I really need to look up the online manual for it to turn off the flash. I always take pics of my fish/tanks with the room lights off. I've tried it both ways, but with the lights on you don't get very good pics at all.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
the best pics I've taken are all done with Flash off...except when I need detail on a fish or something really up close.. I also make sure the glass of the tank is thoroughly cleaned because it does interfere with the pics..

fiddlybits

Medium Fish
Jan 15, 2010
BC, Canada
clean glass

the best pics I've taken are all done with Flash off...except when I need detail on a fish or something really up close.. I also make sure the glass of the tank is thoroughly cleaned because it does interfere with the pics..
You are right about that! I had a nice pic ruined by a bunch of dried water droplets on the outside that I hadn't noticed. That goes for algae on the inside too!

I've heard of a photographer who darkens the room, and puts a black cloth over himself and the tank (like a tent) when he photographs his fish. He uses just the tank lighting. Even then he risks having the camera reflected, so he puts the lens up against the glass.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
the ammonia one is worth it. saves you a LOT of liquid drop ammonia test-worth. (did that even make sense?)
basically it eliminates the need to test for ammonia weekly with liquid tests so you can save by buying one of these :)
And yes they work. just make sure they're not expired (if they are the color wheel will let you know automatically by turning this weird *** color that's not anywhere near acceptable range. thats a sign you should replace for a new Ammo-Alert ;) )

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
Also, use a burst setting if your camera has it. Some cameras have excellent burst settings, while others are poor. I believe I can take 3 shots a second for as my seconds as I like. My previous camera was like 1 shot a second or something like that...and you had to reset the burst every three seconds. The better professional cameras can take like 36 frames per second, so you don't miss anything. :)