New to piranahs

Aug 9, 2003
Northbrook, IL
Visit site
I have already had a succesfull community tank for several years, and i would like to expand my hobby. Im very interested in piranahs, and already know most of the facts about them. But what i am unaware of is their behavior, i would like to know more about their diet, their compatability with other fish (if any), and what their home should be decorated with. I am serious about getting a piranah tank, and understand the time and money i may need to spend. Please tell me anything useful that u know about them. Thank you.

Jul 16, 2003
www.piranha-fury.com
There are 2 differnt kinds of piranhas, Serras and Pygo. Pygos are the typical red belly, cariba, piraya, and the yellow variant of the red belly. These can be shoaled and do better in groups of 3 or more. You will need a minimum of a 55 gallon tank but larger is better. Serras consist of about 35 different known species and as a general rule live alone. There are a few exceptions but I would not suggest you get into the shoalable serras right off the bat...it can be expensive and it is pretty scary at times because they are not your typical shoal. Serras grow very slow and a 40 gallon breeder is big enough for any fish you plan on growing out. If you buy a larger fish like a 16" rhom...you will obviously need a larger tank.
Filtration needs to be above the standard and you should try to get atleast 10X turnover, I use a combination of canasters and power filters...piranhas are messy eaters.
Food consists of: Catfish filets, shrimp, beefheart, feeders, smelt.
Decor: plants and driftwood.

Jul 16, 2003
WI
Visit site
Originally posted by wayne at home
There are a few more than 2 types nut not all are commonly shipped. Big, predatory shoaling fish I've never kept as I hear they have no behaviour. Is this true?
He's talking about genus. Not individual species, wich there are 60 plus.

Actually there are 4 genus of piranha:
Pygocentrus
Serrasalmus
Pristobrycon
Pygopristis

Redbellies falling under the pygocentrus family. Serrasalmus being the most diverse.

All piranha are of the charicidae family.

Jul 16, 2003
www.piranha-fury.com
Originally posted by wayne at home
There are a few more than 2 types nut not all are commonly shipped. Big, predatory shoaling fish I've never kept as I hear they have no behaviour. Is this true?
Did you even read my post knob?

Pygos are the typical red belly, cariba, piraya, and the yellow variant of the red belly.
Serras consist of about 35 different known species
I currently have 7 different species of piranha and have kept many more. I think they have behavior....*thumbsups

Hey Pman,
You are right man, just trying to keep it simple because these 2 types (genus) are what people think about when they hear piranha and they are pretty much what you will find at a lfs.