New Reef setup.

Aug 8, 2012
Im going to be buying a 40gal Breeder tank soon and would like to know what I can put in it.

Im really going for a reef tank. I would like to have an anemone and clownfish of course but from there im not sure what else I can put in it.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
Hello and welcome. Your tank has to be well established to support an anemone. The will host with several corals like hairy mushrooms or even a Goniopora as mine have hosted with. Also bear in mind that a clown fish does not need to host with a coral to live a full and healthy life. Anemone will often move and get caught in the current and end up dying if they get sucked into the return/suction line. I have Colt coral, xenia, toadstool, Goniopora, monti cap, zoe's, and birds nest. For fish i have yellow watchman goby, spotted cardinals, ocell and tomato clowns, coral beauty, and blue/green chromis in my 40G breeder.

Aug 8, 2012
Yeah I know about the clown fish not needing the anemone I've just always wanted them. The only thing I dont really understand right now is what types of coral will live under certain light conditions. Is 156w good or should I go for 234w. Does high watts kill certain coral? I was looking for an article on it but didnt have any luck.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
It all depends on the type of light really and the types of coral you want to keep. If keeping SPS it needs very intense light and certain type wavelengths as well. Its best to see what coral you like and go from there to see what light the need. Usually most easy to raise non-SPS coral should be ok with 156 Watts.