NEW PLATY STRAIN!

Doomhed

Large Fish
Feb 11, 2003
Rhode Island
Visit site
*celebrate HAHAHA! *celebrate

I have isolated a small number(3 females, 1 male, and their father...mama is gone) of platys that breed true to a pretty Bright orange color (babies growing out now) (females prettier than males), fin to face. they are solid orange with mainly clear or slightly orange and white tinted fins. these are SOOOO pretty! they are my Orange Julius (TM) strain, and i will post some photos as soon as my Aunt loans me her Digital Camera.

I also have some platys that seem to grow only about 2/3 normal size. i might be wrong, but i will find out when i start breeding them. i might be able to grow Dwarf Platies! it would be soo funny to see a school of shrunken platies swimming around. double the little fishes if i can keep shrinking them.

I wanna hear what you guys think!

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
Is there such a thing as a new strain of platy? They do sound like sunsets to me too. I figured everything else that wasn't an already officially recognized show strain was a "mutt". Just like the "pedigree" Cockapoos we get at the clinic. A mini-poodle X cocker spanial. Ugly dogs. But the stuck-up snobs that own them are dead set in calling them a "new" breed. Dude, your dog is a mutt, accept it. You paid $500 for a mutt. What a rip-off.
~~Colesea

Doomhed

Large Fish
Feb 11, 2003
Rhode Island
Visit site
Am I right? do your males seem to be almost orange "spotted" like they have an undercoat of Tan and alot of orange spots on them. my males seem to have slightly different coloration than the females, but they breed to the right colors. it makes it weasy to spot the male fry, i tell you what.

Fatboy

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I also have 2 irregular sized platys. They were surviving fry from some platys that I used to originally cycle my 33g with. They are also a sunset orange and I have had them for about a year and a half now. They seem to be in very good health, constantly eating away at something in the tank.

depthC

Superstar Fish
Feb 24, 2003
WI
That sounds awesome. I really want to see the pics if you get them. Also i remember buying some sunset or sunburst platys at Petsmart under the Dwarf variety and they did not grow to be very big. So im pretty sure your not the first to discover Dwarf platy's, sorry.

- depthC

depthC

Superstar Fish
Feb 24, 2003
WI
Well $1.50 per dwarf platys is pretty good. You could just give them platy babies and say they are the dwarf variety. I mean how would they know. Ha this probably wouldnt be the best thing to do because some customer will come back in a few months with a not so dwarf platy. Ha well have fun on your new money making platy project.

- depthC

Doomhed

Large Fish
Feb 11, 2003
Rhode Island
Visit site
well, this store is my single biggest and most secure customer. any fish i have bred is bought, no questions. they say my fish always sell first for some reason. lol.
and it is mainly the orange ones they wanna pay $1.50 for